My first Republican denarius (I think I'm in love!)

Captch

I've been collecting for about six months now. I'm a grad student, so I usually go after Roman provincials or bronze Greek issues - that about fits my budget of ~$40/month. But the other day, I splurged on a RR denarius at auction and wow! I'm blown away by how shiny and wonderful it is 😍. It's so pretty ❤️

Once I graduate in a year or two, I know what I'm buying on the regular.

For the catalog number, this is Crawford 230/1. Helmeted head of Roma, facing right. Luna driving a two-horse biga with A.SPVRI beneath the leading hooves. ROMA in exergue. Minted 139 BCE under A. Spurilius.

roman.png

Edited by Captch
  • Like 28
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 4

• Benefactor

Congratulations! Roman Republican denarii are probably my favorite type of Roman coin, so welcome to the fan club! Here's a post with several "virtual trays" showing all of mine as of a couple of months ago; maybe it'll give you some ideas of what's out there: 

https://www.numisforums.com/topic/2467-a-first-attempt-at-my-own-roman-republican-digital-coin-tray/#comment-40327

The coins are all identified at https://www.numisforums.com/topic/2467-a-first-attempt-at-my-own-roman-republican-digital-coin-tray/#comment-40373 .

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 3
  • Mind blown 1

Great coin, @Captch! Coingratulations! May it be the first of many.

This thread gives me an earworm.

Here's my first Roman Republican:

FulviaMusidiusLongusdenarius.jpg.bd7cba08273cd8d81cbb94dabfdc1b67.jpg
L. Mussidius Longus, 42 BCE.
Roman Republican AR denarius, 3.48 gm, 16.4 mm, 4 h.
Rome, 42 BCE.
Obv: Draped bust of Marc Antony's 3rd wife, Fulvia, as Victory, right.
Rev: L·MVSSIDIVS LONGVS, Victory in biga right, holding reins in both hands.
Refs: RRC 494/40; BMCRR 4229; RCV 1517; Sydenham 1095; RSC Mussidia 4; Banti Mussidia 613.

• Like 7

@Captch,Congratulations on your first RR acquisition.  When I look at auction listings I always go directly to the Roman Republican section first.  My first ancient coin was a denarius of L. Scribonius Libo purchased from Tom McKenna June 1, 1978.  I still have the coin and I'm still learning about RR denarii after all these years.

image.png.826ff011fca5e444f56b31b8f59f8f43.png

• Like 8

On 3/8/2023 at 7:54 PM, DonnaML said:

Here's a post with several "virtual trays" showing all of mine as of a couple of months ago; maybe it'll give you some ideas of what's out there: 

I've been pushing to meet a deadline for work and haven't really kept up with this thread. That's a wonderful collection! I'm very jealous. I really like the serpent biga reverses.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SteveJBrinkman said:

@Captch,Congratulations on your first RR acquisition.  When I look at auction listings I always go directly to the Roman Republican section first.  My first ancient coin was a denarius of L. Scribonius Libo purchased from Tom McKenna June 1, 1978.  I still have the coin and I'm still learning about RR denarii after all these years.

image.png.826ff011fca5e444f56b31b8f59f8f43.png

I like the Cataline connection that wikipedia posits inspired the reverse.