Celebrating spring ... with a flower. But the flower's home is not where one might think!

ambr0zie

Happy 1st day of spring (traditionally), ladies and gentlemen.

In my country the 1st of March is considered the first day of spring, and boys/men give to girls/women little figurines, tied with white/red cords, something like this 

image.png.3caf053634d8b5f028a2f0c3bfa4ce82.png

These are called, in an approximative translation, "little Marches". And also, of course, women and girls receive flowers. 

What is the first flower that comes in one's mind? For me it's the rose, even if it's not exactly a spring flower. 
After a 5 days blooper of playing ping pong with my parcel (following a 2 weeks trip from another EU contry) the Post gifted me my little March, a coin with a rose (very difficult to photograph)

The original photo from the auction house 

image.png.2ed053363ddd870073604061f973658b.png

My lousy attempt (would have to try again in natural light)

image.png.bdd95eeb0cd2805f778eda32325d245e.png

CARIA. Mylasa. (Circa 170-130 BC). AR Drachm, imitating Rhodes. 16.7 mm, 1.95 g
Obv: Facing head of Helios; to left, eagle standing right, superimposed on cheek / Rev: Rose with bud to right.
Ashton, Mylasa 69d. SNG Copenhagen 721. SNG Kayhan I 833-4

Noticed this coin in a recent auction - I simply liked it. Honest wear but leaving the design intact. A simple design, but very elegant and of course, having the particularity of the eagle over the portrait. If I saw this coin without having an accurate description, my guess would have been, without doubt, a Rhodes coin. As I like the Rhodes coins, with various depictions of roses, I would have bought the coin, but the "surprise" made it much more interesting for me. 

My only Rhodes coin (this one, truly Rhodesian) is this hemidrachm, but for some reason I don't like it as much as the new one 

image.png.71d3e409d11cae1233ac9f5de1161564.png

CARIA. Rhodes AR Hemidrachm, ca 404-390 BC
Head of Helios facing slightly right.
Rev: P - O - Rose
Ashton 13-24; SNG Copenhagen 725; SNG Keckman 367; HGC 6, 1426.

1,68 g, 12 mm

Perhaps it's my imagination or weird tastes, but I find the Mylasa coin very, very pleasant and interesting. 

Please post coins from Rhodes/ coins that imitate a certain design/ coins with flowers. 

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 15

Wonderful coin from Mylasa !!!

Here is one from Rhodes:

normal_G_396b.jpg.787b01c012ea5aff6ff0c0fb99d55616.jpg

Caria, Rhodes
Drachm (Circa 88/42 BC-AD 14).
Obv: Radiate head of Helios facing slightly right.
Rev: P – O, Rose seen from above. Control: below, grain ear left.
AR, 4.08g, 18mm
Ref.: HGC 6, 1456; SNG von Aulock 2839

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 2

@ambr0zie..Lovely mylasa rose, bonus with a Bud!...Sweet looking coin..

normal_macrianus.jpg.ad22bf74e9d70dda69f82adc86a4b65a.jpg

Macrianus. 260-261 AD. AE Antoninianus (3.31 gm, 22mm). Antiochia mint.
Obv. IMP C FVL MACRIANVS P F AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust right.
Rev.: SPES PVBLICA, Spes, draped, standing left, holding flower in her outstretched right hand, raising skirt with her left hand. RIC V 13; MIR 44, 1743b; RSC 13.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, arizonarobin said:

I am intrigued by the "little marches"!

It is a national custom. I think other countries in this part of Europe have similar customs. 

Women wear them, as brooches, the entire month. 
In some regions, men receive them from women on the 1st of March. And on the 8th women receive them from men. This custom is valid in the region I live in (I wasn't born here) so I was quite surprised about 15 years ago when I received one from a girl. But men do not wear them, sometimes they wear textile bracelets - red/white cords. They are just symbolic gifts for men, I suppose. 

Here is the one I received today 

image.png.671f504cbbd8cfbb4b5def5cf1aba7e9.png

It's a chimney sweeper - symbol of good luck in my country. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ambr0zie said:

It is a national custom. I think other countries in this part of Europe have similar customs. 

Women wear them, as brooches, the entire month. 
In some regions, men receive them from women on the 1st of March. And on the 8th women receive them from men. This custom is valid in the region I live in (I wasn't born here) so I was quite surprised about 15 years ago when I received one from a girl. But men do not wear them, sometimes they wear textile bracelets - red/white cords. They are just symbolic gifts for men, I suppose. 

Here is the one I received today 

image.png.671f504cbbd8cfbb4b5def5cf1aba7e9.png

It's a chimney sweeper - symbol of good luck in my country. 

I think it is a very charming custom and your little chimney sweep is wonderful!

• Like 1