I think I have purchased some Spanish "cobs"

thenickelguy

Got these pretty cheap recently. Nothing Earth shaking. But I like them.

Descriptions are from listings. I reworked the listing images a little for my own digital inventory.

Spain. Fernando V & Isabella, 17mm billon Blanca

1474-1504 AD

Has a crack, hard to decipher legends.

Spain.FernandoVIsabella17mmbillonBlanca.jpg.ab533726b03e20b51856be1b94dbf904.jpg

Spain, Philip III, IV AE21 (8) maravedis. countermarks
1598 to 1621 AD

Excellent quality example with many overlaying countermarks  including BX monogram over Castle / Lion.

PhilipIVAE228Maravedis.CastilleLeon.1641-1665AD.Restruck.jpg.9b5feb15984531da916e417aa5e1c1ce.jpg

Philip IV AE22 8 Maravedis.  Castille & Leon. 

1641-1665 AD.  Struck on earlier maravedis from Philip II or III.  Many overlapping countermarks.

SpainPhilipIIIIVAE21(8)maravedis.countermarks.jpg.ee890c167c67874e3aa68e500817b155.jpg

Edited by thenickelguy
adding info.
  • Like 11

• Benefactor

Those are really nice coins, thenickelguy.

One theory regarding the origins of the term "cob" is that it is derived from the Spanish "cabo de barra" or end of the bar.  Another theory, as described in Daniel Sedwick book on cobs, The Practical Book of Cobs,  is that the word is connected with the Old English cob, meaning a small mass of something, or something lumpy, such as a "cob of coal" or a "cob of dirt".  Regardless of its origin, cob refers to hammer struck gold and silver coinage produced in the Spanish colonies and in Spain from the 16th century to 1773.  These hammer struck coins were basically ingots for export and not really intended for circulation as everyday currency, particularly for the large 8 reales and 8 escudos, but even also for the 4 reales and 4 escudos denominations.  The smaller denominations did circulate locally, as indicated by the numerous worn examples out there.

In my view, the copper 8 maravedis, which were used in everyday commerce, are cob-like in that they were produced with the same hammer striking and flan clipping technique, so I suppose they could be called cobs., But traditionally my experience has shown me that the term cob has been applied primarily to gold and silver coins in  1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 4 and 8 escudos or reales, produced in the period mentioned above.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool Think 1

Nice examples! Late medieval and early modern Spanish coins are a fascinating and usually not too expensive collecting field full of small varieties.

FruheNeuzeitSpanienPhilippII2maravedisBurgos.png.3fb1655b2c7ce6d5d193d6243eee8a91.png

Spanish Monarchy, under Philip II, AE 4 maravedis, 1584–1585 AD, Burgos mint, moneyer: Juan De Morales. Obv:  [+DON·PHELIPPE·II· ]; castle; in fields, B–M and circle Rev: [+REI·DE·LAS·HESPAÑAS]; crowned lion l. 21mm, 4.07g. Ref: Calíco 2008, 781.

FruheNeuzeitSpanien16024maravedisSegovia.png.2f8ea351485c48e7dd0ed3bd2332a7c5.png

Spanish Monarchy, under Philip III, CU 4 maravedis (countermarked as 8 maravedis), 1602 AD, Segovia mint. Obv:  +PHILIPPVS·III·D·G·OMNIVM; castle in octolobe; in field, C. Rev: ·HISPAN·REGNORVM·REX· 1602; crowned lion in octolobe; countermark: crowned VIII with B below. 27mm, 6.22g. Ref: Calíco 750.

• Like 5
  • Yes 1