US Import Restrictions on Persian/Iranian Coins?

Sol_Invictus

As an American collector I have been trying to keep up with, and comply with, the various US import restrictions on ancient coins.  To that end I have found the Ancient Coin Import Restrictions list maintained by the ACCG to be an invaluable reference. Since there is no mention there of restrictions on Iranian coins, I have assumed that Persian or Islamic coins minted in what is now Iran are unrestricted. Recently I was reading through the Auction Terms on biddr for Timeline Auctions, and came across a note that "Auction lots ... of either Persian or Iranian origin are subject to United States trade restrictions which currently prohibit their import into the US, without exception." A quick search reveals that indeed US CBP has seized Iranian antiquities, and that the basis for this appears to be the general embargo on importing anything from Iran into the US. Presumably this law is meant to prevent money from flowing into the Iranian economy, so it's a bit surprising that it could be used to prevent import of antiquities or coins that may have left Iran long before the current regime came to power.  Does anyone know more about this?  Is there a restriction on importing Persian/Iranian coins into the US?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sol_Invictus said:

As an American collector I have been trying to keep up with, and comply with, the various US import restrictions on ancient coins.  To that end I have found the Ancient Coin Import Restrictions list maintained by the ACCG to be an invaluable reference. Since there is no mention there of restrictions on Iranian coins, I have assumed that Persian or Islamic coins minted in what is now Iran are unrestricted. Recently I was reading through the Auction Terms on biddr for Timeline Auctions, and came across a note that "Auction lots ... of either Persian or Iranian origin are subject to United States trade restrictions which currently prohibit their import into the US, without exception." A quick search reveals that indeed US CBP has seized Iranian antiquities, and that the basis for this appears to be the general embargo on importing anything from Iran into the US. Presumably this law is meant to prevent money from flowing into the Iranian economy, so it's a bit surprising that it could be used to prevent import of antiquities or coins that may have left Iran long before the current regime came to power.  Does anyone know more about this?  Is there a restriction on importing Persian/Iranian coins into the US?

probably some vague law that is unevenly enforced.. you 99.9% fine buying whatever ancient coins you want.. but..

basically If you are willing to buy ancient coins online - you have zero idea where the coin came from and it could potentially be seized if someone was to  really take the time to look into it/make a big deal out something you bought for whatever reason..

From the recent leu auction almost everything is listed as 

“From a Swiss/European collection, formed before 2005.“ . Lol

Edited by arnoldoe
  • Like 2

I can only tell you from the EU - we also have an import ban on Syrian goods. Stupidly, in an auction purchase from Hong Kong (SPINK) was written on the invoice and the papers "Syrian tetradrachm" And the coin was refused at customs for import.

I then asked SPINK to change the invoice to a coin from the Roman Empire - and then it worked on the second try without problems.

Therefore - to avoid any risk, the seller or the auction house should avoid any names or country names from the Middle East in the invoice and the customs documents! Roman ancient coin - that's all. And then you will not have any problems.

• Like 2

Several different government organizations make the rules.  The ACCG is fighting the State Department over their Memorandums of Understanding.

In the case of Iran, this rule doesn't come from the State Department, but from the Office of Foreign Asset Control, a department of the U.S. Treasury, and these guys are still enforcing the sanctions from the 1979 Hostage Crisis when Iranian college students seized the US embassy and held diplomats hostage for 444 days.

A few years ago US Customs seized an antique vase from Iran.  The Treasury is looking for goods from Cuba, Iran, Burma (Myanmar) and most of Sudan. 

According to US Customs you are allowed to import "books, magazines, films, posters, photographs, microfilms, tapes, CDs, records, works of art, etc. Also gifts of up to $100 (U.S.) in value."

It is sort-of unclear if ancient coins are works of art.  Coins also circulated widely, and it is unclear if a Persian coin minted on the territory of modern-day Iran but found in a medieval hoard buried outside of Iran is "Iranian".

Best approach: Buy coins imported into the USA during or before the time of the Shah.

Also OK: Become a lawyer, study the law, realize it is unclear, import some Persian coins minted in medieval Tehran as a test, fight US Customs for a decade or more establishing precedent.

• Like 8
  • Yes 2