My first coin show of 2023, a surprise Julian siliqua.

JayAg47

While it's no NYINC, it's still a humble show where I could get gems like these, I was rummaging through a dealer's ancient unattributed junk lot and came across this coin, at first I thought it was one of those late Roman bronzes, but noticed some silvery deposits, so I took a chance and bought it for 20 bucks. At first I cleaned it with baking soda, and then treated with sodium thiosulfate to remove some horn silver, although I didn't clean it thoroughly as to leave a little deposits for some contrast.

Before

b.jpg.40d72d36203a9b50d09da6e19e4dcf44.jpg

After

a.jpg.7e1a94e705fc41743d1553e9bc76cdb6.jpgDN CL IVLIANVS AVG

VOTIS V MVLTIS X
TR (Treveri), Palm branch next to mint mark,

360-363 AD, 1.70g.

I'm glad all the legends are present on both sides given how these siliquae were extensively clipped!

Please share your coins of the last apostate! 

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 16
  • Heart Eyes 1

I don't think of ancients as junk bin items. Although there are some Roman coins that probably are - fallen horseman, Theodosius II bronzes. Julian was early enough that he often gets away without being clipped.

Julian II Contemporary Imitation Siliqua, 361-363
image.png.f7a6788d87f7485392cb31119bb8ab9f.png
Imitating Arles. Silver, 16mm, 1.63g. Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right; D N FL CL IVLIA-NVS P F AVG. VOT X MVLT XX within wreath, dot in medallion at top; CONS in exergue (cf RIC VIII, 312). From the West Norfolk/Grimston Hoard 2018. Portable Antiquities Scheme: NMS-963FF1.

• Like 12

Julian II, AD 360-363. Æ 19mm (3.0g, xh). Sirmium mint, 2nd officina. Struck AD 361-363. Obv: D N FL CL IVLI-ANVS P F AVG; Diademed, helmeted and cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield. Rev: VOT/X/MVLT/XX within wreath; BSIRM. Ref: RIC VIII 108. 

Perhaps the Celator had a fun night on the town started to cut "VOT XX" before waking up.

image.jpeg.d57b2a7aa25440c007a6eb0fc823bfb6.jpeg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Broucheion said:

Hi @Edessa,

Looks like he messed up the MVLT too before recutting the die.

- Broucheion 

Roger. A quick scan of a few hundred examples online didn't bring to light a die match. Perhaps he was embarrassed and immediately made another mistake. That sounds like something I might do.

• Like 1