Book of ancient Objects

• Benefactor
27 minutes ago, Kaleun96 said:

I ordered a book from Numismatik Naumann and they sent this one along with it, maybe they have lots of copies for some reason?

I suspect that there isn't a huge demand for copies of the printed corpus of ancient Greek vases located in Finland. Especially given that there's a comprehensive online "Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum" database covering many countries, as part of the Classical Art Research Centre (formerly known as the Beazley Archive) at Oxford.  See beazley.ox.ac.uk/cva/about:

"Welcome to CVA Online, the open access digital element of the CVA project. It is hosted by the Classical Art Research Centre on behalf of the Union Académique Internationale (UAI).

The Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum ('Corpus of Ancient Vases') is the oldest research project of the UAI. It consists of a series of high-quality catalogues of mostly ancient Greek painted pottery in collections around the world. The first fascicule appeared in 1922 and since then more than 400 have appeared, illustrating more than 100,000 vases in 24 countries.

The three-year CVA Online project originated in 2000, when Oxford University's Beazley Archive (later the Classical Art Research Centre) was invited to undertake the digitization of out-of-print fascicules. Some further digitization occurred up to 2016 and we continue to add resources when opportunities arise. The digitized catalogues can be viewed and browsed through this site. Their images and selected content are also integrated within CARC's Beazley Archive Pottery Database."

In other words, unless one happens to be a fanatic about collecting the hard copy volumes, or is a devoted Finnish patriot, there appears to be no urgent need for this book, even among Greek vase collectors and/or scholars. Any more than most of us collect all the different series of the SNG.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

I suspect that there isn't a huge demand for copies of the printed corpus of ancient Greek vases located in Finland. Especially given that there's a comprehensive online "Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum" database covering many countries, as part of the Classical Art Research Centre (formerly known as the Beazley Archive) at Oxford.  See beazley.ox.ac.uk/cva/about:

Thanks, that's a good resource! Will have to browse around it a bit later. I flicked through the CVA book for oenochoe's similar to mine but they didn't really have any that were close, just one of a similar shape. Nice to receive it for free but at some point it will compete for bookshelf space I imagine.

• Like 1