Off the Beaten Path: Antioch Pisidia

David Atherton

My first 'Off the Beaten Path' coin for the new forum. Nothing too fancy, just a neat and inexpensive provincial that proves you don't have to spend 'flipping great wadges of cash' to enjoy yourself in this hobby.

RPC1605aa.jpg.d675cb5dd3d7b2f135d24360712451a8.jpg

Titus as Caesar [Vespasian]

Æ19, 6.21g
Antioch Pisidia (Galatia-Cappadocia) mint, 76 AD
Obv:
T CAES IMP PONT; Head of Titus, laureate, r.
Rev:
ANT COL; Priest holding vexillum ploughing with two oxen, r.; above, crescent
RPC 1605 (9 spec.).
Acquired from eBay, June 2022.

Antioch Pisidia became a Roman colony under Augustus. Coins were sparingly struck under Augustus (probably a foundational issue) and Nero. Under Vespasian a small issue was struck commemorating the foundation of the colony by the veterans of the 5th and 7th legions. Although this coin is undated, it is in similar style to those struck in 76 with Vespasian as COS VII and Titus Caesar as COS V. The ploughing ritual depicted is the creation of a boundary known as the sulcus primigenius, the first furrow, which delineated the line of the pomerium. The pomerium was a city’s ritual boundary which demarcation the sacred from the profane. The creation of this boundary was the first step in the foundation of a new colony.

Please post your coins from Pisidia or the surrounding region!

Thanks for looking!

• Like 12

This was one of the first cities minting coins I have ever heard about.

Here are my examples

image.png.dca416297f05480e559783665cb7e5c0.png

PISIDIA, Antiochia. Julia Domna. Augusta, AD 193-217. Æ 23mm . Draped bust right / Tyche standing left, holding rudder and cornucopia. SNG France 1126-34

image.png.8e84aaf4bfe54b62f341e6e3d5ce9fc9.png

Obv: ANTONINVS COMMODVS,     laureate-headed bust of Commodus wearing cuirass and paludamentum, l. / Rev COLON(E)IAE ANTIOCH(AE?), Mên standing with foot on bucranium, facing, head, r., wearing Phrygian cap, holding long sceptre and Victoria/Nike; behind his shoulders, crescent; to l., cock standing, l.
RPC IV.3, 7377 (temporary), Krzyżanowska 144, V.6–7 and VI.7–9 and VII.9, Cop 26 corr.

• Like 8

One of the Mên* themes on Pisidian coins was the Anatolian lunar god, Mên:

*Fun with homonyms! 😄

[IMG]
Julia Domna, AD 193-217.
Roman provincial Æ 21.3 mm, 5.15 g, 7 h.
Pisidia, Parlais, AD 193-196?
Obv: IVLIA-DOMNA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
Rev: IVL AVG C-OL PARLAIS, Mên standing r., wearing Phrygian cap, left foot on bucranium, holding spear and pinecone; behind his shoulders, crescent.
Refs: BMC 21.11, 3; SNG von Aulock 5137 (same obv. die).

[IMG]
Gordian III, AD 238-244.
Roman Provincial Æ 35 mm, 26.72 g, 6 h.
Pisidia, Antioch, AD 238-244.
Obv: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian III, r., seen from rear.
Rev: COL CAES ANTIOCH, S-R, Mên standing r., wearing Phrygian cap, foot on bucranium, holding sceptre and Victory (standing r., on globe, holding trophy), resting elbow on column; behind his shoulders, crescent; to l., rooster standing, l.
Refs: RPC VII.2, — (unassigned; ID 3431); Krzyżanowska XXII/94; BMC xix.187, 70.

• Like 6

• Benefactor

Fantastic addition, David (congrats)

Hmmm, Cappadocia, eh? ... I had one of those ... 

Nerva AR Didrachm (below)

CAPPADOCIA, Caesaraea-Eusebia

AD 96-98

Struck AD 98

Diameter: 20 x 22 mm

Weight: 6.64 grams

Obverse: Laureate head right

Reverse: Club set on ground; date in legend

Reference: Metcalf, Caesarea 45; Sydenham, Caesarea 153

Other: 12h sweetly toned

Ex-stevex6

Nerva Club.jpg

... fantastic snout, right??

=> Batter-up!!

Edited by Steve
  • Like 7

Commodus Ae 24 Selge in Pisidia 175-177 AD Obv Bare headed Bust of Commodus right draped Rv Tyche standing facing head left RPC IV On line 10913 This coin illustrated. 8.68 grms 24 mm Photo by W. Hansen. selge6.jpg.1e6228137dcd8a99f93751505afc45cf.jpg

If memory serves me right back in October of 2008 I was looking at the unsolds in a recently completed action and found this coin. I thought it was a nice coin and thus purchased it. Some years later as the RPC on line project was gearing up I noted that the type was not represented so I submitted it. Since then some others have been discovered however it is the plate coin for th type. 

• Like 6