Another "crusty" coin ~ Flavius Honorius 393-423 AD

thenickelguy

HonoriusVIRTVS-EXERCITI395ADobv.jpg.8cf35c67b8cccf5201fa8ffbd7cf34de.jpg

HonoriusVIRTVS-EXERCITI395ADrev.jpg.9ad6ee3b60e4111945fb270fabe93f3c.jpg

Honorius. 393-423 AD
Obverse is: DN HONORIVS PF AVG
Reverse is: VIRTVS-EXERCITI, emperor standing left, head right, holding spear and resting left hand on shield. Victory, standing beside him crowns him with a wreath which she holds in her right hand. Desert patina

I like this one just the way it is. He apparently had a good barber.

Honorius.jpg.fb143e4cffcb8891f5848df4683ec48c.jpg

Flavius Honorius (9 September 384 – 15 August 423) was Roman emperor from 393 to 423.
He was the younger son of emperor Theodosius I and his first wife Aelia Flaccilla.
Honorius's reign was precarious and chaotic.
After the death of Theodosius, Honorius ruled the western half of the empire while his brother Arcadius ruled the eastern half.
During his reign over the western Roman Empire, Rome was sacked for the first time in almost 800 years on 24 August 410 by the Visigoths.
The last known gladiator games took place during the reign of Honorius, who banned the practice in 399 and again in 404, reportedly due to the martyrdom of a Christian monk named Telemachus while he was protesting a gladiator fight.

Honorius died of edema on 15 August 423, leaving no heir.

• Like 6

Great little coin!

Honorius was a lackluster emperor at best.

I've only got 2 examples of this emperor in my collection. Here is my favorite:

422199395_HonoriusAE3VIRTVSEXERCITIANT.png.b509c8378e67e6a8e4908e5e547757eb.png

Honorius AE3. DN HONORI-VS PF AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right / VIRTVS-EXERCITI, emperor standing left, head right, holding spear and resting left hand on shield. Victory, standing beside him crowns him with a wreath which she holds in her right hand. Mintmark ANTΓ.

• Like 6

Fun stuff! I have only one Honorius in my numophylacium. I'd say it looks better in hand, but I'd be lying.

[IMG]
Honorius, AD 393-423
Roman Æ centenionalis; 1.38 g, 13.8 mm, 6 h
Nicomedia, AD 425-423
Obv: D N HONORI-VS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust, right; * behind
Rev: GLORIA ROMANORVM, two emperors standing, supporting globe between them; SMNA in exergue
Refs: RIC x, p. 272, 412; LRBC II 2456; RCV 21021; MIRB 75; Cohen 27.
  • Like 4