A HAMMERED COIN SHOWING TOOLS OF THE TRADE.. T. CARISIUS DENARIUS (plus gifts ^^)

ominus1

A Good friend of yours & mine,  @Ryro saw fit to sell this lil jewel to me and its one i've only wanted ever since i became aware of'em..:D...now i ask ya...who wouldn't want one in their collection of old hammered coins eh ?!?..plus, he sent me a couple of gifts of Olbia dolphin  proto-money(which i wanted forever and didn't have yet) along with a fossilized sharks tooth....:)..

POST YER COINS N COMMENTS PEEPS!:)

T. Carisius, 46BC, Bust of Moneta right, obverse, anvil and punch die with tongs and hammer(worn away) reverse, 19mm 3.66gms

IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

• Like 19
  • Clap 1

Denarius of T Carisius 46 BC Obv, Bust of Juno Moneta right wearing necklace of pearls Rv. Implements of a coiner Anvil die with garlanded punch above flanked by hammer and tongs All within a laurel wreath Crawford 464/2 CRI 49 3.77 grms 20 mm Photo by W. Hansen464-c.thumb.jpg.217869813d4f5da6833c9d68b46af6d4.jpg

This is a rather interesting depiction of the tools needed to produce coins. I suspect that the tongs were needed to steady the punch or hammer die and the hammer is pretty self evident. 

Edited by kapphnwn
  • Like 19

• 3 weeks later...

image.png.225073b5f20ac7c1672709807e825af7.pngimage.png.b738a6ac1abf46f34026357bb0370247.png

And here is mine. I thought this was a really iconic coin when it was first brought to my attention several years ago and was a "must have". 

T. Carisius. Silver Denarius (3.89 g), 46 BC. Rome. MONETA behind, draped bust of Juno Moneta right. Reverse: T CARISIVS, coining tools: tongs, anvil with garlanded die above, and hammer; all within wreath tied at the top. Crawford 464/2; HCRI 70; Sydenham 982a;  Ex The William Oldknow Collection. Purchased Ira and Larry Goldberg January 2021.

And another Carisius

image.png.921cd1ed24ed3e366d03f6d4a4da2942.png

T. Carisius, Denarius, Rome, 46 BC. AR (g 4,13; mm 20; h 2). Head of Roma r., wearing ornate crested helmet; ROMA behind, Rv. Sceptre, cornucopia on globe, and rudder; all within laurel wreath; T#CARIS below. Crawford 464/3a; Carisia 4; Sydenham 984a. 

• Like 15

I don't know how I missed this, but I'm glad it arrived and that you liked your surprises. Both were found in modern day Ukraine (were Olbia was located).

Here's my Carisius:

2450633_1640514442.l-removebg-preview.png.3507d7b3c88e68d142a1765474517b71.png

Man I would've loved to see them being hammered out!

• Like 13

That's a lovely looking 'ancient' @ominus1...I really like these worn, been used, but still showing the nice depictions intended type coins..

Hopefully this isn't too far off theme as is does show an artisan at work.

1568510504_cunobelin_black(2).jpg.d82be750ecb6a6a3f7b352f9376d8145.jpg

Celtic Britain Cunobelin metal worker

Britannia, Trinovantes & Catuvellauni. Cunobelin. Circa 9-41 AD. AE Unit (2.437 g, 14mm).
Obv: Winged head left, CVNO in front, BELIN behind.
Rev: Metal worker, presumably the smith god known as Sucellus in parts of Gaul, sitting on a solid seat with a detached upright back, holding an L-shaped hammer in his right hand, left hand holding a metal bowl, there is always a distinct bun of hair behind the smith's head, TASCIO (Tascionus his father) behind, beaded border.
Van Arsdell 2097; ABC 2969; SCBC 342. Hobbs 1972-83;..VF.

• Like 13

• Benefactor

More tongs:

Roman Republic, L. Aurelius Cotta*, AR serrate Denarius, 105 BCE, Rome Mint. Obv. Draped bust of Vulcan right, wearing conical cap (pileus) bound with laurel wreath, tongs behind shoulder with * [= XVI; mark of value] above; beneath chin, control mark “D” with single pellet below**; all within myrtle-wreath / Rev. Eagle standing three-quarters right on thunderbolt with wings spread and head left; in exergue, L • COT; laurel-wreath around.*** Crawford 314/1b, RSC I Aurelia 21 (ill.); BMCRR 1296, Sydenham 577, Sear RCV I 191 (ill.). 19 mm., 3.74 g. Purchased from Ken Dorney June 2021; with old coin ticket from 1950s/1960s [with Sydenham number but not Crawford]. [Footnotes omitted.]

[IMG]

*”The moneyer is presumably L. Aurelius Cotta, Tr. Pl. 103 and Pr. ?95.” Crawford Vol. I p. 322.

**The control marks on [314/]1b are the letters of the Latin alphabet, alone or accompanied by up to two dots.” Id.

***”The obverse type [depicting Vulcan] recalls the standard obverse type of the coinage of Lipara, captured by C. Aurelius Cotta, Cos. 252; the reverse type alludes to the triumph celebrated in consequence.” Id. But see Prof. Yarrow’s blog post dated July 17, 2013 (https://livyarrow.org/2013/07/17/visual-parallels-debunking-historical-allusions/), arguing that an examination of the coins of Lipara “doesn’t instill confidence in this claim” (illustration at link). She points instead to an example of a (2nd Century BCE?) bronze coin of Malaka in Spain also portraying Vulcan on the obverse, with Helios on the reverse (illustration also at link), asserting that “the parallel [of the Vulcan on Aurelius Cotta’s coin] with Malaka in Spain is nearly perfect, right down to the wreath and the placement of the tongs behind the head,” and that “I think we can be sure the Spanish coin is the prototype, and not vi[ce] versa, as the Malakan bronze has Punic lettering.” However, Prof. Yarrow offers no explanation for the moneyer’s theorized choice of a Spanish prototype: “So far I’m hard pressed to find a Cotta with a Spanish connection. The poor L. Aurelius Cotta, cos. 144, was denied the opportunity to go to Spain (Val. Max. 6.4.2).” Id. She suggests instead that the image may perhaps have “provided an attractive model for representing Hephaistos, the smith god, for some other reason,” unspecified in her blog post. (This coin does not appear to be discussed in Prof. Yarrow’s book)

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 14

Interesting "tools of the trade" thread.  The Roman Republic issue of L. Papius featured an enormous number of control symbols, some of which were tools, thought to be connected to trade guilds.  There is a great site about these here:  https://bonannocoins.com/l_papius/l_papius_db.php

Mine features a carpenter's chisel (obverse) and hammer (reverse):

1402381123_RRLPAPIVSGriffithMar2019(0a).jpg.e764a1392252b23267c031e17892a266.jpgRoman Republic       Denarius  L. Papius  (79 B.C.)  Rome Mint Trade Guild: Carpenters Head of Juno Sospita right, wearing goat's skin; chisel behind / L PAPI in ex. Gryphon springing right; hammer below.  Crawford 384/1, type 30; Sydenham 773; Papia 1. (3.60 grams / 17 mm) eBay Mar. 2019

I do have the coiner's tools issue of T. Carisius, but mine is in awful shape.  This is one of those ancients I prefer looking bad, because there are a frightening number of fake ones out there, many of them with a machine-pressed look to them.  This one is probably genuinely ancient; who'd want to fake such crud? 

141586361_RR-CarisiusMoneyImplementsFeb2020c(0).jpg.174434e0b42bf2e548ce3bb91d39e1ac.jpgRoman Republic       Denarius T.  Carisius (46 B.C.) - Rome Mint MONETA, Juno Moneta head right (no locks down neck?) / [T.C]AR[ISIVS], anvil with garlanded die above, between [tongs] and hammer; all within laurel wreath. Carisia 1; Crawford 464/2. (3.33 grams / 19 mm) eBay Feb. 2020 $16.50

• Like 13

spacer.png

Moneyer issues of Imperatorial Rome. T. Carisius. 46 BC. AR Denarius (20mm, 3.83 g, 3h). Rome mint. Head of Sibyl Herophile right, hair elaborately decorated with jewels and enclosed in a sling and tied with bands / Sphinx seated right. Crawford 464/1; CRI 69; Sydenham 983; Carisia 10. Good VF, toned, areas of flat strike.

From the Demetrios Armounta Collection. Ex Baldwin’s 57 (23 September 2008), lot 59.

• Like 8