My NYINC acquisitions. Part 2: M. Dublin Penny of Edward I

SteveJBrinkman

Although my main collecting focus is Roman Republican silver,  over the last couple of years I have revived my interest in English hammered coins, and have started a small assembly.  Some 35 years ago, I visited Ireland and became aware of these triangle pennies,  the obverse triangle design is unique to the Irish pennies of the time of king John, 1199-1216, Henry III, 1216-1272 and Edward I, 1272-1307.  The triangle is inverted only on the coinage of Edward I.  These pennies are generally common but I have yet to find the right one, until now. 

I'm just learning about the coinage of Ireland, so if I get something wrong, let me know.

image.png.5f5d57da23fb7aa392c3ec78e9d09bfa.png

Edward I silver long cross penny;

19mm; 1.44 g.

Dublin Mint, struck c. 1280-1283

Obv: Head of King Edward I facing enclosed in inverted triangle. EDW R' - ANGL'D - NShYB

Rev: Long cross with 3 pellets in each quadrant. CIVI - TAS - DUBL - INIE

S. 6246, Class 1b ? 

Purchased from Sovereign Rarities, 13-JAN-23

I'm having some trouble attributing this piece.  The portrait is as the 2nd issue (class 1b), the most common issue, in that there are 3 pellets at the neck (right lower pellet obscured by striking weakness); however, The 2nd issue is characterized with pellets as stops on the obverse legends as .EDW.R, ANGL.D, and NS.hYB, but no stops are found on this coin.  Maybe just an aberrant die? Any advice or references to help would be appreciated.

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1

27 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

Nice coin. The portait's strong.

I think only the pellet before .EDWR is required, which this coin seems to have (level with the bar of the E), although not easy to make out. It also has the Roman N on the reverse.

John,  Thanks for your help.  I Think it makes little difference but I don't see the pellet before E looking at the coin in high magnification, nor the contraction mark over the S in NShYB, but these could be obscured from the flatness of the strike.  The Roman N pretty much resolves this to the 2nd issue.

• Like 3

The triangle on the obverse was purposed to keep the coin circulating in the Pale of Ireland and out of England.  Of course that didn't always happen.  This piece was obviously saved early on before it could be clipped etc as evidenced by the metal outside of the pellets on the perimeter of the coin.  Also has a nice mostly deep strike with little evidence of wear particularly on the high points of the cross on the reverse.  It is a very desirable piece and compares well to my example from Waterford.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UkrainiiVityaz said:

The triangle on the obverse was purposed to keep the coin circulating in the Pale of Ireland and out of England.  Of course that didn't always happen.  This piece was obviously saved early on before it could be clipped etc as evidenced by the metal outside of the pellets on the perimeter of the coin.  Also has a nice mostly deep strike with little evidence of wear particularly on the high points of the cross on the reverse.  It is a very desirable piece and compares well to my example from Waterford.

@UkrainiiVityaz,  I appreciate your comments.  It's good to hear that a coin that I am just beginning to learn about is a desirable piece.

• Like 1

Beautiful coin! The following example has certainly seen a lot more abuse. The larger hole is placed so that the coin could be hung with the portrait facing. I have wondered about the smaller hole. I can imagine Seamus' wife asking him to make this into a pendant, and then catching him as he, somewhat logically, drilled the hole in the point of the triangle.

Ireland. Edward I, AD 1272-1307. AR Penny (19mm, 1.34g, 2h). Second (’ЄDW’) coinage, Type Ib. Waterford mint. Struck AD 1279-1284. Obv: .EDW.R.ANGL.DNS HYB; Crowned facing bust; trefoil of pellets on breast; all within triangle. Rev: CIVI TAS WATE RFOR; Long cross pattée, with trefoil in each angle. Ref: SCBI 22 (Copenhagen), 370; SCBC 6254. Fine and nicely toned but holed.

image.jpeg.a00d4194e3fb2b814e0729d4a173ac45.jpeg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Edessa said:

I can imagine Seamus' wife asking him to make this into a pendant, and then catching him as he, somewhat logically, drilled the hole in the point of the triangle.

I am thinking the driller's name was more likely John or William - Seamus would have put the hole in the centre ie the King's portrait.

• Laugh 2

Terrific example, @SteveJBrinkman.  I have a Dublin one for which there are no pictures, but compared to yours, you're not missing anything.

I have this need to link mints to castles whenever possible, even if only by proximity.  Trim, the caput of the lordship of Meath, isn't too far away.  It was held by the Lacys, famous for rebelling against King John; then a brother of the chronicler Jean de Joinville; followed by the Mortimers, including the notorious Roger.  This is from Wikipedia.  It was the largest castle in the Pale, with a very unusual keep, even for the period of 'transitional keeps' in which it was built (c. late 12th century).

Thumbnail GIF of 3D Model of Trim Castle-320x160.gif

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Edessa said:

Beautiful coin! The following example has certainly seen a lot more abuse. The larger hole is placed so that the coin could be hung with the portrait facing. I have wondered about the smaller hole. I can imagine Seamus' wife asking him to make this into a pendant, and then catching him as he, somewhat logically, drilled the hole in the point of the triangle.

Ireland. Edward I, AD 1272-1307. AR Penny (19mm, 1.34g, 2h). Second (’ЄDW’) coinage, Type Ib. Waterford mint. Struck AD 1279-1284. Obv: .EDW.R.ANGL.DNS HYB; Crowned facing bust; trefoil of pellets on breast; all within triangle. Rev: CIVI TAS WATE RFOR; Long cross pattée, with trefoil in each angle. Ref: SCBI 22 (Copenhagen), 370; SCBC 6254. Fine and nicely toned but holed.

@Edessa Thanks for sharing.  I note the stops on your coin that are missing on mine and the contraction mark above the S.  Also, I believe the Waterford mint is scarcer than my Dublin mint example.  Interesting piece.

• Like 2