Off the Beaten Path: Thessalonica

David Atherton

Another coin in my 'Off the Beaten Path' series, this time a neat Macedonian bronze.

RPC320-.jpg.7f3027808ad80ac912751c2ca31bb72d.jpg

Vespasian

Æ23, 8.00g
Thessalonica (Macedonia) mint, undated
Obv: ΑΥΤΟΚΡΑΤΩΡ ΚΑΙΣΑΡ ΟΥΕΣΠΑΣ; Head of Vespasian, laureate, l.
Rev: ΘΕΣΣΑ/ΛΟΝΙΚΕ/ΩΝ in three lines within oak wreath; above inscription, eagle standing, l., head r.
RPC 320 (6 spec.).
Acquired from Ephesus Numismatics, January 2023.

During the Flavian era Thessalonica produced a smattering of coins under Vespasian and then again under Domitian. This 1 assarion piece struck for Vespasian is quite scarce with only 6 specimens recorded in the core collections cited by RPC.

In hand.

Please share your Macedonian coins.

As always, thanks for looking!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

4 minutes ago, David Atherton said:

Another coin in my 'Off the Beaten Path' series, this time a neat Macedonian bronze.

RPC320-.jpg.7f3027808ad80ac912751c2ca31bb72d.jpg

Vespasian

Æ23, 8.00g
Thessalonica (Macedonia) mint, undated
Obv: ΑΥΤΟΚΡΑΤΩΡ ΚΑΙΣΑΡ ΟΥΕΣΠΑΣ; Head of Vespasian, laureate, l.
Rev: ΘΕΣΣΑ/ΛΟΝΙΚΕ/ΩΝ in three lines within oak wreath; above inscription, eagle standing, l., head r.
RPC 320 (6 spec.).
Acquired from Ephesus Numismatics, January 2023.

During the Flavian era Thessalonica produced a smattering of coins under Vespasian and then again under Domitian. This 1 assarion piece struck for Vespasian is quite scarce with only 6 specimens recorded in the core collections cited by RPC.

In hand.

Please share your Macedonian coins.

As always, thanks for looking!

The video looks so much better than the photo ☺️!

• Like 3

• Benefactor

Very nice! We're travelling to Greece this year and I tried to convince my wife to include a side trip to Thessalonika, but when she realized it was near Pella and my real reason was to see its ruins and the Philip II museum, she nixed the idea. 🙂

As you know, the city itself was named for Kassander's wife and Philip II's daughter. Unfortunately, as I understand the city didn't begin minting coins until the 2nd century BCE, and no coin I'm aware of has her image, so their coinage didn't meet the bar for my collection.

• Like 1
  • Cool Think 1

A very nice coin from Thessalonica, I like the details that you can see with the video!

I have a weakness for Macedonian Coins, especially from Stobi.

Here is one of my favorite JD Provincials from Thessalonica:

Julia Domna, Thessalonica Julia Domna Bronze AE 25; 6.050g, 19.8mm, 225o,   IOVLIA DOMNA draped bust right   QECCALONIKEWN  Ares advancing right in military garb, spear in right, shield in left  Thessalonica mint, c. 196 - 211 A.D.;   Unpublished; Varbanov III -; SNG Cop -; SNG ANS -; BMC -; AMNG III -; Lindgren -; Weber -; SNG Righetti -, Wildwinds example  Prov. Forum Ancient Coins Information from Forum purchase: This reverse is known for Septimius Severus from Moushmov 6737, but it is not in the plates. Varbanov lists the Severus coin (4351, referencing Moushmov, printed in 1912) but apparently never having seen an example, he was unable to identify the diameter and did not list rarity. Our coin, entirely unpublished, has this extremely rare war god reverse inappropriately on the reverse of the empress Keywords: Julia Domna Ares

Julia Domna
Bronze AE 25; 6.050g, 19.8mm, 225o,
IOVLIA DOMNA
draped bust right
QECCALONIKEWN
Ares advancing right in military garb, spear in right, shield in left
Thessalonica mint, c. 196 - 211 A.D.; (unpublished)

• Like 5