Seleucid Portrait 1300 years later

Cordoba

I acquired this Artuqid bronze in December and it came in the mail recently. The head on the Artuqid dirham was copied from tetradrachms of Antiochos VII, who ruled almost 1300 years prior to Husam al-Din Timurtash. I thought this was a pretty neat coin to accompany my Antiochos VII tetradrachm. The Artuqids captured the portrait pretty well in my opinion, especially his hair. Found it pretty interesting that the Artuqids seemingly found some tetradrachms of Antiochos VII and decided to use the same portrait on their coins.

Note that the white dot under his nose rubbed off. The auction photos had the dot in its photos and I originally thought it was something stuck on the coin.

image.jpeg.0089701418718cc7cfe30a125f6b9f9a.jpeg

Seleukid Empire, Antiochos VII Euergetes. 138-129 BCE. AR Tetradrachm, 31 mm, 16.31 g. Antioch on the Orontes mint.

Diademed head to right / BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EVEPΓETOY, Athena Nikephoros standing to left, resting hand on shield, and with spear under arm; monogram over Π above A in left field; all within wreath.

SC 2061.1j

Ex Roma Numismatics, E-Sale 99, From the Terner Collection

-

Artuqids of Mardin, Husam al-Din Timurtash. AH 547-572 / 1152-1176 CE. AE Dirham, 28 mm, 14.15 g. 

Large diademed male head to right / Legend in Arabic in three lines, 'Malik al-umara / Abu al-Muzaffar / Alpi bin; Legend around in Arabic, 'Il-Ghazi / Timurtash bin / bin Artuq' (all in Kufic).

Spengler & Sayles 26

Ex Solidus Numismatik, Auction 110, From the collection of Prof. Dr. Peter Robert Franke

image.jpeg.d5b59d8e0eb5642e827b8b9a9ac8d725.jpeg

Feel free to share other Artuqid or Seleucid coins you have!

Edited by Cordoba
  • Like 16
  • Cool Think 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Islamic. Anatolia & al-Jazira (Post-Seljuk). Artuqids (Mardin). Husam al-Din Yuluq Arslan, AH 580-597 / AD 1184-1200. Æ Dirhem (32mm, 15.59g, 6h), stating the Ayyubid ruler al-Nasir Salah al-Din Yusuf I (Saladin) as overlord, unlisted mint, possibly Mardin, AH 584 = 1188 AD. Obv: Husâm al-dîn yûluq Arslân (in Arabic) Draped male bust facing slightly to left. Rev: Ayyûb/ al-Malik al-Nâsir/ Salâh al-Dunyâ/ wa al-Dîn Yûsuf/ bin (in Arabic) in five lined within double hexagram; around, date. Ref: Album 1829.1. S&S Type 33.5. Fine brown surfaces. Flat area on the obverse, otherwise, very fine. Ex Nomos Obolos eAuction 15 (25 May 2020), Lot 1080.

image.jpeg.493e5e2de223b666c1628846f7b532ba.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1