Septimius Severus, FORT REDUC

antwerpen2306

• Benefactor

Nice coin with two cornucopia. I'll share a Severus "travel" coin which coincides with his voyage to Britannia to fight the Picts in the North, asking for the intercession of Neptune for a safe journey. Holding the Tribunician Power for the XVIIIth year argues for a mint date close to the end of his reign.

septsev1.jpg

septsev2.jpg

• Like 12
  • Cool Think 1

The OP is definitively RIC 477a. A full readinf of the obverse legend would be "L SEPT SEV PER-T AVG IMP VII-I"

I have two other reverses from the same obverse die.

RI_064mc_img~0.jpg

RI_064gh_img.jpg

I am not convinced that the scarcity of the type would still hold at R2. It is realtively scarce but not rare. I have three examples of this reverse for the IMP VIII series.

RI_064oc_img.jpg

RI_064in_img~0.jpg

RI_064sh_img.jpg

As far as the IMP II series goeswhilst it may be unlublished in the major references I think it no more that Scarce at best. I have at least five examples of the type but each having different merits / attributes making them of interest to my specilaism in this area.

Obv:– L SEPT SEV P-ERET AVG IMP I-I, Laureate head right
Rev:– FORT R-D-EVC

RI_064hj_img.jpg

RI_064ik_img~0.jpg

Obv:– L SEP SEV PERTE AVG IMP II, Laureate head right
Rev:– FORT R-DEVC

RI_064nd_img.jpg

Obv:– L SEP SEV PE-RT AVG IMP II, Laureate head right
Rev:– FORT R-E-DVC

RI_064ln_img~0.jpg

RI_064dl_img.jpg

Regards,

Martin

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a problem with the reverse inscription : FORT REDUC, Fortuna staying with 2 cornucopiae.

The usual version is Fortuna ReduX, redux being a substantive meaning :who is coming back. The usual illustration on this coin is Fortuna seated, holding in the right hand a rudder, which rests on a globe and in the left a cornucopia. The meaning is that Fortuna protected the emperor coming back from a war or a journey.

Here we have reduC and Fortuna with 2 cornucopiae. It is possible it is an error, but I don't think so because the cornucopiae, meaning abundance, fecundity and happiness. I think the transscription is Fortuna reducit or reducta : Fortuna brings back ( the good times) or (The good times) are back by Fortuna.

The coin has been minted in 196/197, the year Severus defeated Clodius Albinus near Lugdunum, the civil war came to an end and he became the sole emperor. 

What is your opinion ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, antwerpen2306 said:

I have a problem with the reverse inscription : FORT REDUC, Fortuna staying with 2 cornucopiae.

The usual version is Fortuna ReduX, redux being a substantive meaning :who is coming back. The usual illustration on this coin is Fortuna seated, holding in the right hand a rudder, which rests on a globe and in the left a cornucopia. The meaning is that Fortuna protected the emperor coming back from a war or a journey.

Here we have reduC and Fortuna with 2 cornucopiae. It is possible it is an error, but I don't think so because the cornucopiae, meaning abundance, fecundity and happiness. I think the transscription is Fortuna reducit or reducta : Fortuna brings back ( the good times) or (The good times) are back by Fortuna.

The coin has been minted in 196/197, the year Severus defeated Clodius Albinus near Lugdunum, the civil war came to an end and he became the sole emperor. 

What is your opinion ?

Maybe. The grammatical argument is weak because reduc- is the stem and the C only becomes X when the nominative ending S is added to it: C+S=X. In any of the oblique cases, it stays as C, so it's not hard to imagine the inscription could be short for the dative Fortunae reduci.

• Like 2