Two tetradrachms from Tyre, Philip III - the Beauty and the Beast

robinjojo

• Benefactor

A little over a year ago I picked up a Philip III tetradrachm of Tyre.  The coin, while crude, was relatively inexpensive at $99, but it is in rough shape, especially the obverse, with corrosion, apparent smoothing, scratches and horn silver  which makes Alexander III look as if he needs urgent treatment by a dermatologist. There also appears to be some sort of countermark, but it also might be an area of corrosion. On the same side there is an area metal loss.  I cannot tell if it is due to just a flan flaw, a lamination or chip that occurred in minting or during circulation.  

Having said all these bad things, the coin, with its clear date on the reverse really attracted me to it, along with the low price. I've never owned an Alexander III tetradrachm with a date, so this was a first.

Then, last month another tetradrachm, same date and mint became available at auction.  This coin has some similarities with my earlier purchase, in overall style, but the flan, the dies are larger and the workmanship generally much better.  So, I acquired that coin as well.  Sometimes I just fall into redundancy with some coins.

The auction coin, left, weighs within the Attic Standard, at 17.08 grams.  The other coin weighs 15.64 grams, below the Attic Standard.  Some of the lower weight can be attributed to the corrosion, but the flan is also smaller but with about the same thickness as the auction tetradrachm.  Were these coins issued in different weight standards?  I cannot say this was the case definitively, so that's something will need further researching, if I ever get around to it.

Macedon, Philip III Arrhidaios, 2 tetradrachms, struck under Laomedon, Tyre,  RY 30 of 'Ozmilk'  = 320-/19 BC.

Price 3279 (Ake)

17.08 grams and  15.64 grans respectively

439580860_D-CameraMacedonPhilipIIIArrhidaios2tetradrachms.struckunderLaomedonTyreRY30ofOzmilk320-19BC17_0815.64g1-9-23.jpg.010ba087793c0f3346cddc7ec5a239a6.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 16

• Benefactor

Gorgeous pickup and a great buy! I'm not sure about the lower weight as I'm not as familiar with the series.

This is my tet from Tyre, minted a year after yours. 

331A1880-Edit.jpg.1695a8c6fa7381a717f91febf8d30d40.jpg

Kingdom of Macedon, Philip III Arrhidaios AR Tetradrachm
In the name and types of Alexander III
Struck under Menes, with Perdikkas as regent
Tyre, dated RY 29 of Azemilkos = 321/0 BC
 Head of Herakles to right, wearing lion skin headdress / Zeus Aëtophoros seated to left, holding sceptre; ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ to right, -|O (Phoenician 'K = 'Ozmilk [king of Tyre]) above ||| ||| =/||| (Phoenician date [29]) in left field.
Price 3275 (Ake); Newell, Dated 32 (same); DCA 737; HGC 3.1, 941 (Alexander IV). 17.03g, 26mm, 6h.
Ex Roma

• Like 6

On 1/10/2023 at 2:20 AM, robinjojo said:

A little over a year ago I picked up a Philip III tetradrachm of Tyre.  The coin, while crude, was relatively inexpensive at $99, but it is in rough shape, especially the obverse, with corrosion, apparent smoothing, scratches and horn silver  which makes Alexander III look as if he needs urgent treatment by a dermatologist. There also appears to be some sort of countermark, but it also might be an area of corrosion. On the same side there is an area metal loss.  I cannot tell if it is due to just a flan flaw, a lamination or chip that occurred in minting or during circulation.  

Having said all these bad things, the coin, with its clear date on the reverse really attracted me to it, along with the low price. I've never owned an Alexander III tetradrachm with a date, so this was a first.

Then, last month another tetradrachm, same date and mint became available at auction.  This coin has some similarities with my earlier purchase, in overall style, but the flan, the dies are larger and the workmanship generally much better.  So, I acquired that coin as well.  Sometimes I just fall into redundancy with some coins.

The auction coin, left, weighs within the Attic Standard, at 17.08 grams.  The other coin weighs 15.64 grams, below the Attic Standard.  Some of the lower weight can be attributed to the corrosion, but the flan is also smaller but with about the same thickness as the auction tetradrachm.  Were these coins issued in different weight standards?  I cannot say this was the case definitively, so that's something will need further researching, if I ever get around to it.

Macedon, Philip III Arrhidaios, 2 tetradrachms, struck under Laomedon, Tyre,  RY 30 of 'Ozmilk'  = 320-/19 BC.

Price 3279 (Ake)

17.08 grams and  15.64 grans respectively

439580860_D-CameraMacedonPhilipIIIArrhidaios2tetradrachms.struckunderLaomedonTyreRY30ofOzmilk320-19BC17_0815.64g1-9-23.jpg.010ba087793c0f3346cddc7ec5a239a6.jpg

The first coin you purchased is likely a fouree'. The "countermark" on the obverse is probably a test punch and appears to show corroded base metal peaking through the silver. There are also several small areas on the reverse that may be showing the core, but can't be sure due to the photo and lighting. Anyway, that would be my guess. The second coin you purchased is a really nice example of the type.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My Tyre Tet, dated year 35

normal_Alexander_1_0.jpg.9354515a191506f0e5d6f68c412e663f.jpg

Alexander the Great
AR Tetradrachm
Tyre mint, Dated RY 35 of Azemilkos (315/4 BC).
Obv.: Herakles head right,. clad in lion's skin.
Rev.: Zeus Aëtophoros seated left, ЧO (Phoenician for Azemilkos) to right of ||||| - // (date) in left field. Dated year 35.
Ag, 16.94 g
Ref.: Price 3291
Ex-CNG

• Like 5

I couldn't resist this Tyre tet of Caracalla from a CNG auction about a month ago. High grade examples have gotten very pricey.

1519337141_CoinArchivesPrieur155125mm12.82gm5h..jpg.059b7cc93c43b8a09c5a6c273b0e5cbf.jpg

PHONICIA, Tyre. Caracalla, AD 198-217 (struck AD 215-217). Obverse: Laureate, draped, & cuirassed bust facing right & seen from behind. Reverse: Eagle standing on club with a wreath in it's beak, murex shell between legs. Billon Tetradrachm: 12.82 gm, 25 mm, 5 h. Prieur 1551.

I sold this much finer example pictured below a long time ago ☹️.

1023852492_Prieur1551ExAWKCollection.jpg.6c9b8c6bf250017e8ec704df3fca094d.jpg

• Like 5