Trajan Tetradrachm - not sure what Prieur / RPC ID

Ok, no one in the other forum seems to have an idea. Maybe I can get some opinions from you. Maybe someone here can read a bit more than I can.

The problem was the reverse inscription.

I have some difficulties in assigning this tetradrachm to the Prieur or RPC catalogue. I would be grateful for your help.

The obverse is no problem - here it is the legend:
AYTOKP KAIC NEP TPAIANOC CEB GERM ΔAK

I have a hard time with the back. The only thing that is certain is:
ΔΗΜΑΡΧ ЄΞ ?? ΥΠΑΤ ?

I'll start with the last letter. I know this type with an Є epsilon and a ς sigma. 

When I look at the type with a Sigma - but the squiggle is missing at the bottom. So it should be an Epsilon. But as you can see in the picture - the E is not open at the top. On the contrary - in the upper area the E looks like a connected circle. The middle stroke of the E does not go straight out (as in the many other examples I have seen) - but makes a swing upwards and connects with the upper stroke. So it's not an E for epsilon after all?

The number of tribunatic powers is almost impossible to read - after "ΔΗΜΑΡΧ ЄΞ", from my point of view, one can perhaps recognise an I (?) and then another letter. 

What I also did not find - the beak of the eagle goes quite strongly and pointedly to the left to the legend. I have not seen such a beak in either Prieur or RPC - which goes so pointedly to the left with the hook down.

What is your opinion? Thanks already!

image.png.a02a65075afc93d3732d7a59c6a4af9d.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Ok, no one in the other forum seems to have an idea. Maybe I can get some opinions from you. Maybe someone here can read a bit more than I can.

The problem was the reverse inscription.

I have some difficulties in assigning this tetradrachm to the Prieur or RPC catalogue. I would be grateful for your help.

The obverse is no problem - here it is the legend:
AYTOKP KAIC NEP TPAIANOC CEB GERM ΔAK

I have a hard time with the back. The only thing that is certain is:
ΔΗΜΑΡΧ ЄΞ ?? ΥΠΑΤ ?

I'll start with the last letter. I know this type with an Є epsilon and a ς sigma. 

When I look at the type with a Sigma - but the squiggle is missing at the bottom. So it should be an Epsilon. But as you can see in the picture - the E is not open at the top. On the contrary - in the upper area the E looks like a connected circle. The middle stroke of the E does not go straight out (as in the many other examples I have seen) - but makes a swing upwards and connects with the upper stroke. So it's not an E for epsilon after all?

The number of tribunatic powers is almost impossible to read - after "ΔΗΜΑΡΧ ЄΞ", from my point of view, one can perhaps recognise an I (?) and then another letter. 

What I also did not find - the beak of the eagle goes quite strongly and pointedly to the left to the legend. I have not seen such a beak in either Prieur or RPC - which goes so pointedly to the left with the hook down.

What is your opinion? Thanks already!

image.png.a02a65075afc93d3732d7a59c6a4af9d.png

P. de Sion, Your coin looks like McAlee 439, & is considered common. Posted below it for comparison is an example of McAlee 440 that I sold a long time ago. The coins have the same composition except the last letter on the reverse inscription is different 😉.1916637762_McAlee43944withslabinsert.jpg.2bda11b206bcf84501069be3322827de.jpg

• Like 2