Anyone have a reference for this coin? Help!

CPK

I bought this one a little while ago in a group lot, without much identification. Some of you may possibly remember helping me identify it over on CoinTalk.

Recently I took it out for new photos. Here it is: 

WITH ADJUSTED REFERENCE/DESCRIPTION

agathokles_ae.jpg.6c18f3d2a0abc4bc0a738954ecab3a64.jpg

Now, the references I gave in the photo are as close as I could find, but none that I could identify were an exact match. The key difference is the dotted line on the reverse - every other example I could find features a solid line. Here is the closest match I could find to this coin, from Coin Archives:

image00360.jpg.b797fce7c9c7bfeb346233baaa2801b3.jpg

CoinArchives.com Lot Viewer

This coin matches my coin's obverse - with both the dolphin and the grain ear/astragalos. The reverse is very close - with the delta and monogram above (although it also has a small letter behind the bull, which apparently is missing from mine.) But as you can see, the bull in the CoinArchives example is on a solid line whereas mine is very clearly dotted.

The references given for the above coin are CNS II, 109 Ds95, and HGC 2, 1490. I do not own any Greek coin references to look these up. What I'm wondering is, does anyone know/or can look to see if my exact coin type - bull on dotted border - is referenced anywhere? Is this unusual? Should I list it as a variation?

With Roman coins I've got OCRE and RPC online. But Greek coins are a little more difficult and the resources I normally use - wildwinds and archive sites - seem to lack my exact coin type. Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by CPK
  • Like 8

The reference of your coin is clearly Calciati II, 109 Ds95.

It is not a dotted line , it is the exergue ΣΥΡΑΚΟΣΙΩΝ and behind Kore, it is an ear of corn and not an astragalos.

The other coin seems to be the variety 109 DS95/1 (Calciati's picture is not very clear for this one)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Brennos said:

The reference of your coin is clearly Calciati II, 109 Ds95.

It is not a dotted line , it is the exergue ΣΥΡΑΚΟΣΙΩΝ and behind Kore, it is an ear of corn and not an astragalos.

The other coin seems to be the variety 109 DS95/1 (Calciati's picture is not very clear for this one)

Perfect! I found Calciati online and the reference picture matches perfectly. I will be updating my coin photo with the corrected information. Thanks so much!

For what it's worth here is the Calciati reference coin:

CNS - Compendium - coin details (calciati.org)

109-DS95.jpg.49b801eca9aef9537991fc150eb6091e.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, CPK said:

@Brennos is this a named denomination, by the way? 

Calciati doesn't give many denomination names. 

Mariangela Puglisi's book (La Sicilia da Dionisio I a Sesto Pompeo. Circolazione e funzione della moneta), which I believe is one of the most recent references on the sicilian bronze coinage, gives this type the denomination Hemilitra or Tetras.

Edited by Brennos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Topcat7 said:

@CPK I would be concerned that it looks as though there might be some Bronze Disease on the reverse of your coin?

I don't know when the photographs were taken so I don't know if that has been attended to already.

No bronze disease, thankfully! Just some rock-hard deposits.