New Year's Coin Resolutions

kirispupis

• Benefactor

Thought I'd start a thread on New Year's resolutions coin-wise. Feel free to share yours!

My Progress on Last Year's Resolutions

I made decent progress on last year's resolutions.

1. Improve on the 14 missing coins in my People of Philip II, Alexander III, and the Era of the Diadochi collection. I'm now at 8, but that includes several people I added such as Derdas II and Okhos. 
  2. Improve my collection overall - I exceeded my expectations in adding ~180 coins this year. I didn't pick up nearly as many stunning tets as last year, but I did hit a number of needs in my collection and I added several new collections.
    1. Divided by main collection into People and Cities
    2. Began a Kingdoms after Alexander collection with 31 target coins and obtained 26 of them
    3. Began a 10,000 collection and obtained the majority
  3. Create a coin site for my Alexander collection - I did this here and am happy with the result.
  4. Read at least 36 books (not all on coins/history) - I read 60 books. Many weren't history related, but at least 20 were. I read up on Macedonian phalanxes, got through Strabo, Phoenicians, three works by Xenophon, mythology, the history of Cyprus, and a number of others.
  5. Write a novel titled 'Love, Macedonians, and Dinosaurs' - I didn't complete this one, but that's mainly because I wound up writing a book on real estate investing for my wife instead. I do still have ~150 pages of the new novel, which I've decided to rename. 

Resolutions for 2023

1. Improve my Cities of Philip II, Alexander III, and the Era of the Diadochi - I do hope to whittle my People collection down from 8, but the remaining coins will each be dog fights. All except one are extremely rare, and the one that's not typically goes for a bit more than I can afford, and I'd only go that high if it was the last one. My Cities collection, though, provides a lot of opportunity to increase my collection because there are so many coins missing. I'm not likely to increase any of my other collections much in 2023 simply because I'll need to focus.
  2. Redo my photography technique - As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm not happy with my current photos. I recently made improvements there, but I have a ways to go. Once I have a new technique, I'll need to re-photograph every coin in my collection.
  3. Redo my AncientCoinStories web site. I plan to make the following improvements
    1. Add all of my other collections/coins, with an entertaining story for each
    2. Replaces the photos with those from above
    3. Improve navigation, which is already straining from the coins I have listed there. In particular, I'll add
      1. Several timelines. I've already found a simple way to do this.
      2. Interactive maps with coin images. I'm still researching this, but this should be doable.
      3. Provide separate sections for the different collections
  4. Read 50 books - Not all of these will be history/coin related, but for sure they will include Pausanias, Plutarch, Ovid, Vergil, and others.
  5. Complete the drafts for my new 'Macedonians' novel and sequel - It became clear as I was writing that the story will require at least two, and maybe three, books. My goal is to complete at least two of them next year.

Non-coin goals

For those interested, I have the following other goals that aren't related to coins.

1. Lose at least 30 pounds - This was one of my failed resolutions from this year
  2. At least 150 Peleton rides - Last year my goal was to complete my 21st marathon (but 1st since Covid), which I did, but I injured myself in training. I therefore bought a Peloton, which has been easier on me.
  3. Photograph in at least 100 places
  4. Publish my photo+story book 'The Secret Wild: Rarely True Stories About Pacific Northwest Wildlife' - This is based on my posts on my FB page.
  5. Get promoted at work - I did well this year (two promotions) and am aiming toward more success in 2023

Adding a coin since a post is always better with one.

1603443370_PtolemyI.jpg.0a6a988a0186d4ee2de14d41499a32b5.jpg

• Like 15

7 hours ago, kirispupis said:

Thought I'd start a thread on New Year's resolutions coin-wise. Feel free to share yours!

My Progress on Last Year's Resolutions

I made decent progress on last year's resolutions.

1. Improve on the 14 missing coins in my People of Philip II, Alexander III, and the Era of the Diadochi collection. I'm now at 8, but that includes several people I added such as Derdas II and Okhos. 
  2. Improve my collection overall - I exceeded my expectations in adding ~180 coins this year. I didn't pick up nearly as many stunning tets as last year, but I did hit a number of needs in my collection and I added several new collections.
    1. Divided by main collection into People and Cities
    2. Began a Kingdoms after Alexander collection with 31 target coins and obtained 26 of them
    3. Began a 10,000 collection and obtained the majority
  3. Create a coin site for my Alexander collection - I did this here and am happy with the result.
  4. Read at least 36 books (not all on coins/history) - I read 60 books. Many weren't history related, but at least 20 were. I read up on Macedonian phalanxes, got through Strabo, Phoenicians, three works by Xenophon, mythology, the history of Cyprus, and a number of others.
  5. Write a novel titled 'Love, Macedonians, and Dinosaurs' - I didn't complete this one, but that's mainly because I wound up writing a book on real estate investing for my wife instead. I do still have ~150 pages of the new novel, which I've decided to rename. 

Resolutions for 2023

1. Improve my Cities of Philip II, Alexander III, and the Era of the Diadochi - I do hope to whittle my People collection down from 8, but the remaining coins will each be dog fights. All except one are extremely rare, and the one that's not typically goes for a bit more than I can afford, and I'd only go that high if it was the last one. My Cities collection, though, provides a lot of opportunity to increase my collection because there are so many coins missing. I'm not likely to increase any of my other collections much in 2023 simply because I'll need to focus.
  2. Redo my photography technique - As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm not happy with my current photos. I recently made improvements there, but I have a ways to go. Once I have a new technique, I'll need to re-photograph every coin in my collection.
  3. Redo my AncientCoinStories web site. I plan to make the following improvements
    1. Add all of my other collections/coins, with an entertaining story for each
    2. Replaces the photos with those from above
    3. Improve navigation, which is already straining from the coins I have listed there. In particular, I'll add
      1. Several timelines. I've already found a simple way to do this.
      2. Interactive maps with coin images. I'm still researching this, but this should be doable.
      3. Provide separate sections for the different collections
  4. Read 50 books - Not all of these will be history/coin related, but for sure they will include Pausanias, Plutarch, Ovid, Vergil, and others.
  5. Complete the drafts for my new 'Macedonians' novel and sequel - It became clear as I was writing that the story will require at least two, and maybe three, books. My goal is to complete at least two of them next year.

Non-coin goals

For those interested, I have the following other goals that aren't related to coins.

1. Lose at least 30 pounds - This was one of my failed resolutions from this year
  2. At least 150 Peleton rides - Last year my goal was to complete my 21st marathon (but 1st since Covid), which I did, but I injured myself in training. I therefore bought a Peloton, which has been easier on me.
  3. Photograph in at least 100 places
  4. Publish my photo+story book 'The Secret Wild: Rarely True Stories About Pacific Northwest Wildlife' - This is based on my posts on my FB page.
  5. Get promoted at work - I did well this year (two promotions) and am aiming toward more success in 2023

Adding a coin since a post is always better with one.

1603443370_PtolemyI.jpg.0a6a988a0186d4ee2de14d41499a32b5.jpg

@kirispupisfantastic images, particularly enjoyed landscapes and cities albums though i was surprised you didn’t have an album “people or faces” - I particularly enjoy photographing people of countries/ continents i travel to and enjoy talking to them - best part of the trip in my opinion…

• Like 3