Interactive maps mints

Coinmaster

A friend of mine created these interactive maps on my request and with my help. Perhaps it's of use to someone.

Anglo Saxon mints: https://detectoramateur.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/fe39b0dd6763400eb0c2f6efb44b97b4

Dutch/Belgian mints: https://detectoramateur.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/90e064b134534790b1c8a1e7f5fdc6a9

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

Looks neat!...I'm on my mobile at the moment so will try it out on my large screen PC at home...Interesting to see Barnstaple on the index as it's where I grew up and lived there for 30+ years...

Yes it seems to work as a nice ‘other way up’ to PAS, where you only get the map once you find the coin, while this allows you to click down from the map.

It shows just how many mints there were. Perhaps more than any other time.

• Like 2

Many thanks for these, @Coinmaster.  Both are bookmarked.  

From here, the second map is especially helpful, my helpless ignorance of the Dutch notwithstanding! 

Right, as in numismatic references --or, for that matter, legends on the coins themselves-- proper nouns  readily 'translate.'   

It's especially illuminating, relative to Continental sceattas, to see how many mints were in operation during the Merovingian period.  (Cf. the brilliant threads posted here by @Roerbakmix and others.  To anyone just tuning in, all you have to do is a search for 'sceattas.')  

As a collector of denars and petit deniers of Frisia and Brabant, c. 11th-13th centuries, the context for those is no less welcome.  The Carolingian precedent for the 11th-century Frisian issues is especially enlightening.  As in the case of the Continental sceattas, this gives me some idea of where the diversity, and sheer volume, of those coinages originated from.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 2

On 12/29/2022 at 5:44 AM, JeandAcre said:

It's especially illuminating, relative to Continental sceattas, to see how many mints were in operation during the Merovingian period.  (Cf. the brilliant threads posted here by @Roerbakmix and others.  To anyone just tuning in, all you have to do is a search for 'sceattas.')  

Thanks for endorsing my posts 🙂 I might be using the maps incorrectly, but I'm unable to view the Merovingian mints? It should be noted however that (as far as I know), only Dorestad (current Wijk bij Duurstede) is known with certainty to have minted 'Frisian coinage' during the Merovingian period - and only gold coins by Madelinus. Dorestad probably minted many sceattas as well (and many are found in that region), however none bear an inscription. 

Domburg, Zeeland (south / east of NL) was likely a prolific mint, and perhaps Tiel (river delta, close to Domber) minted the scarce (Metcalf and Op den Velde identified about 30 in 2014) Series D BMC 10:

image.jpeg.354563f10f8033602802b95b83b40398.jpeg

The obverse copies the Series C EPA (runic); while the reverse shows a Latin legend "TILV". 

Point is however, that only a fraction of the continental sceattas have a legend (other than EPA, which is present on nearly all series D BMC 2c's). @Nap and @Tejas have posted a few threads hypothesizing how the minting process worked in the Merovingian 'dark ages'. 

• Like 4