Augustus dupondius

dougsmit

A friend gave me this somewhat ratty bronze which is clearly a moneyer dupondius of Augustus but I remain unable to convince myself which moneyer it is and (worse) talk myself out of it being a moneyer known for sestertii but not dupondii.  It has a few letters at the reverse right which might make it identifiable by someone with experience in the series.  The coin does bear the IMP countermark.  I have asked about this somewhere before but have no answers.  I apologize if it was here.  Readings of that reverse legend or opinions are appreciated. 

00aadupondiuscm.jpg

00aadupondiuscminset.jpg

• Like 10
  • Cookie 1

• Benefactor

Taking a quick look at the photos of Augustus dupondii on Wildwinds, it seems there are only about 15 different possibilities in that particular format. But I didn't take the time to go through the 15 and try to match up the letters. Not an easy task!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Taking a quick look at the photos of Augustus dupondii on Wildwinds, it seems there are only about 15 different possibilities in that particular format. But I didn't take the time to go through the 15 and try to match up the letters. Not an easy task!

I did and did not convince myself of the answer.  That is why I was hoping we had someone here who collects these and would care between the choices rather than just if the coin was mint state (these rarely are over fine).  Not easy for me!

• Like 1

Thanks to all.  What I learned here is just how varied the letter spacing was on issues by the same moneyer.  There is no good clue based on size of the SC or expected placement for the letters available.  While I agree  Sanquinius  is most likely, I say that more from it not matching any other than feeling good about which strokes belong to letters in his name.