Any Experience with Leu Numismatik? The website is terrible.

ComicMan

• Benefactor
9 minutes ago, Finn235 said:

Over here watching my bids get curb-stomped like 

5082_500.jpg

My one bid in today's session, on a Roman Republican denarius, was blown away. I would have had to go to almost $1,000, and I've already spent way too much on coins this year! But I admit I'm trying again tomorrow.

• Benefactor

I lost out again today on my one bid -- the wonderful Caracalla denarius with a reverse depicting Luna in a biga of bulls. Reminiscent of a Republican reverse. I bid 850; it sold for 1100. I am not really surprised.

But now I have 850 euros more (plus buyer's fee) to spend on something else than I would have had! Extra money in my pocket! I feel rich!

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 2
  • Cry 2

• Benefactor

Okay, perhaps I don't know the type overly well, but the below coin from the Leu auction was initially on my watch list.

mithradates_leu.jpg.a6d65d78703dde70b94d6b7a921e650c.jpg

However, I felt it would go too high, so when I found the below coin on ma-shops, I bought it. I still don't have it in hand since it shipped maybe 10 days ago and mail takes about 5-6 weeks from Germany.

mithradates_I_mine.jpg.2977f5b8b9aadf1decc73b2848d3fc0e.jpg

I paid 60 Euros for mine, while the Leu one went for 600 CHF (plus fees).

Does the obverse of mine look tooled? The Leu copy has a few letters more of the inscription and is a nice oval, but it certainly looks like either I paid a great price or the Leu coin went way too high. Am I missing something?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, velarfricative said:

My own win, Demetrios II. I'm perfectly happy to accept a missing chunk if it means spending less than 3k on this.

01741q00.jpg.2a645ac101c6293c178fb859317022ac.jpg

congrats! i was eyeing this coin too, but did not bid because i had won two coins already. great deal though, i haven't seen a demetrios ii tetradrachm hammer for that cheaply in that condition. i also don't mind edge chips, especially if the details on the coin are still great

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cordoba said:

congrats! i was eyeing this coin too, but did not bid because i had won two coins already. great deal though, i haven't seen a demetrios ii tetradrachm hammer for that cheaply in that condition. i also don't mind edge chips, especially if the details on the coin are still great

Yeah, it's basically impossible to find them in this price range, so I couldn't resist. Not really much chance of me being able to buy another one unless I want to pay thousands for a lower grade.

• Like 1