A slightly decrepit rarity

ambr0zie

Today I received the package from the last auction I participated in. Might be the last auction of 2022 (although I still hope I will grab something from a December auction).
5 coins, 2 being major targets, the kind of coins I was refreshing 2 weeks before the auction. The first target is a coin I wanted for a year (not a rarity but a beautiful design - will probably create a topic about it), and the second was a coin I first saw when studying the auction. It grabbed my attention because of the curious reverse plus a ruler that I wanted to add because it is an important historical figure.

Negative facts about the coin - the corrosion, quality is not the best but there's a good side in this - 1. as studied the prices obtained for this type in better condition, they are above what I want to pay for a coin, especially if it's not in my direct area of collecting 2. as I was hoping, the coin is better in hand as the house's picture was not 100% accurate.

image.png.bc3c9def3305399a281d1ad0f8e2c53d.png

and my picture

image.png.5efb97e067260c63766fc928da52de52.png

And the attribution I found, because the house preferred to add a very short attribution for it

Syria, Seleucis and Pieria. Antiochus VII Euergetes (138-129 BC). Tarsus, “civic” workshop . Drachm. 18 mm, 3.7 g. Diademed head of Antiochus VII right / BAΣΙΛΕΩΣ ANTIOXOY EYEPΓETOY, Sandan standing right, wearing a polos and with bow and quiver over shoulder, holding labrys and flower, on the back of horned lion-griffin right; to outer left, [ΛY above monogram]. Cf. SC 2058.1; HGC 9, 1081

Why was I interested in this coin, since I do not collect Seleukids as a primary area of collecting? First it was the reverse. Adding a deity not present in my collection, in a curious posture (sitting on the back of a lion-griffin), and also a new type of (fantastic) animal. But when I realized this is a coin from Antiochus VII's reign, I wanted it even more as I knew he was the last Seleukid king and his era was the end of a state. A plus is that this ruler is mentioned in the Bible.

Let's see some coins you recently acquired, not in the best possible condition, but good additions because of rarity / or coins that you discovered when browsing auctions, without knowing the type, and realized they would fit good in your collections!

• Like 17

That's a curious looking imagery on the reverse!

Here's my recent addition, a Chola silver drachm after waiting nearly two years!  I already have one, but it's a debased issue with lead mixture weighing at 2.97g, while this one is silver at 4.15g. These coins are really hard to come by, only ever saw two offered (other than the Indian auctions that don't ship overseas), one on Vcoins last year, and my new coin which I won at an eBay auction, if not I would've bought it in an instant. In fact it's the only coin I bought from an auction this year. I still had to clean the coin when I received it, it was covered in gunk/Verdigris and horn silver, but still glad to tick off a silver issue from this empire. 

chola.jpg.693451d65e012dd1f10d5658dcccee90.jpg.d18855f33a4d400df0f8a4ff800c4ee4.jpg

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, ambr0zie said:

or coins that you discovered when browsing auctions, without knowing the type, and realized they would fit good in your collections!

I'm always on the lookout for additions to my Antoninus Pius collection...Spotted this one...Cheap, reasonably decent condition (as nearly always) better in hand. It ticked a few boxes, hadn't seen this type before, first Thrace Philippopolis mint, Dionysus and the bonus of an animal depiction a sweet little panther.

1341584499_cFo63tAjHye79sBSM2g572Zq4ftGxB(1).jpg.d1a20095a80e2f43b9c300a241b90636.jpg

Thrace, Philippopolis. Antoninus Pius. 138-161 AD. AE As­sarion (3.94 gm, 18mm). Obv.: [ΑΥ Τ ΑΙ ΑΔΡΙ] ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙΝ, laureate head right. Rev.: ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΠΟΛEΙΤΩΝ, nude Dionysus standing left, holding cantharus over panther and long filleted thyrsus. Mouchmov, Philippopolis 66–70 and 75, BMC 9: RPC Online 7441. VF.

• Like 11

Not exactly a new purchase or a particularly rare coin, but I wanted an Isis Pharia and this one is pleasant in hand.

Roman Egypt, Alexandria. Antoninus Pius, AD 138-161. Æ Drachm (32mm, 22.07g, 12h). Dated RY 10 (AD 146/147). Obv: ΑVT K T AIΛ AΔP ANTωNЄINOC CЄB ЄVCB; Laureate bust right. Rev: Isis Pharia sailing right, holding a sistrum and billowing sail; L ΔЄK-ATOV (date) around. Ref: Köln 1550; Dattari (Savio) 2668; K&G 35.359; Emmett 1590.10. 

image.jpeg.309584334c80181af9b7ae72e4d0e707.jpeg

• Like 8