North East Coast

leeshiel

1 hour ago, John Conduitt said:

Don't forget that the obverse and reverse dies will have different volumes. If there was only one 'Corieltauvi stater' type, there would be a sort of relay of dies from start to finish. If the obverse die lasted longer, you could have 10 matches for that and only 3 for the reverse. One side of the coin is rarer than the other, while the combination of the two might be unique. This would be true of many coins, so they would be common in being unique.

Thanks John i am sure Dr Sills will be aware of this

I have received this information when i asked elsewhere previously "not Dr Sills", this is a near match  https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/chris-rudd/catalogue-id-chris-10019/lot-d7f46bca-8d49-4c6a-8413-a8b201010ba9?fbclid=IwAR1jhYB6r75amcfL8XZzBBMp2N2buLKwXfPo_y05EGtdnadzb1olCIT4UTo

Apart from

One very interesting thing is that the obverse die in the link you provided is earlier as Lee's obverse die has been re-touched - the top 'bear's paw' has had a new 'claw' added

15 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

@leeshiel...Wow!...Great video..

I'm interested in if you kept the soil block with imprint?...A lovely reminder...

Thank you, no i didn't i guess it would have been hard to preserve,

The day i found it i wasn't finding much and i was heading to another field when i came across some large pebbles that was sounding off pebbles shouldn't make my machine go bleep,

Knowing Celts/Romans etc cooked with pebbles i presumed they had been in contact with a bronze cooking pot i started to search the area  and found it close to the pebbles,

If i didn't have this knowledge i would never have found it.

Edited by leeshiel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Recently I added two more coins to my very small (now three) Celtics.  One of them was this Corieltauvi stater; the obverse is described as "Wreath, crescent and cloak motifs forming stylized head of Apollo" so I've included a typical Greek Apollo stater to illustrate the "non-stylized" Apollo:

image.jpeg.8c15e475a9b9cfab1a9d5318be0b25e4.jpeg

[Britannia, the Corieltauvi AV Stater. North East Coast series. Circa 60-50 BC. 6.17 g.  18.5mm Wreath, crescent and cloak motifs forming stylised head of Apollo; line of pellets at neck truncation / Disjointed lunate horse to left with many pellets above, pellet-in-annulet before, crescent and pellet above decorated base below.]

image.jpeg.de048ec728ecd4ffe767835c10c56e4e.jpeg

My most recent Celtic addition is this Easter Celtic "Colchis" or "Kolchis,", the obverse described as "Stylized head of Athena" and the reverse described as "Highly stylized Nike."  I've included a typical Athena/Nike stater for comparison.

image.jpeg.4915ecf6ba0cca937be82b7f2477c937.jpeg

[Eastern Celts 'Colchis.' (16.45mm, 3.62  g. 7h) Undetermined mint. Gold stater 2nd/1st century BC. Stylized head of Athena.  Rev. Highly stylized Nike.]  I especially like this Celtic coin's reverse with the abstract angel's wings.

image.jpeg.9e9c327452783b3350569d93b7195599.jpeg

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, idesofmarch01 said:

Recently I added two more coins to my very small (now three) Celtics.  One of them was this Corieltauvi stater; the obverse is described as "Wreath, crescent and cloak motifs forming stylized head of Apollo" so I've included a typical Greek Apollo stater to illustrate the "non-stylized" Apollo:

image.jpeg.8c15e475a9b9cfab1a9d5318be0b25e4.jpeg

[Britannia, the Corieltauvi AV Stater. North East Coast series. Circa 60-50 BC. 6.17 g.  18.5mm Wreath, crescent and cloak motifs forming stylised head of Apollo; line of pellets at neck truncation / Disjointed lunate horse to left with many pellets above, pellet-in-annulet before, crescent and pellet above decorated base below.]

image.jpeg.de048ec728ecd4ffe767835c10c56e4e.jpeg

My most recent Celtic addition is this Easter Celtic "Colchis" or "Kolchis,", the obverse described as "Stylized head of Athena" and the reverse described as "Highly stylized Nike."  I've included a typical Athena/Nike stater for comparison.

image.jpeg.4915ecf6ba0cca937be82b7f2477c937.jpeg

[Eastern Celts 'Colchis.' (16.45mm, 3.62  g. 7h) Undetermined mint. Gold stater 2nd/1st century BC. Stylized head of Athena.  Rev. Highly stylized Nike.]  I especially like this Celtic coin's reverse with the abstract angel's wings.

image.jpeg.9e9c327452783b3350569d93b7195599.jpeg

Very nice your Corieltauvi  has been in discussion in this thread nice coin,

https://www.sixbid.com/de/roma-numismatics-ltd/9878/spain-gaul-and-celtic/8480491/britannia-the-corieltauvi-av-stater?term&orderCol=lot_number&orderDirection=asc&priceFrom&displayMode=large&auctionSessions=&sidebarIsSticky=false

38 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

That might also explain the strange roundel in front of the horse.

It's hard to say. I've checked all [1] the coins recorded from these dies and this is the only one that shows the roundel in front of the horse.  The roundel is poorly engraved on a number of other dies so it might have been this shape from the start.   Die breaks on the obverse and reverse put Lee's coin after the CR one, and the entire paw (actually a hairlock) seems to be broken on that, so it does look like Lee's is recut, although it would be nice to see some other coins that show this portion as well to be sure.

[1] Caveat - some of the coins don't have die numbers assigned to them so I can't be sure they aren't matches.  I quick check suggests that they aren't, but I'm not die matching them to be 100% sure

Edited by DCCR
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, idesofmarch01 said:

My most recent Celtic addition is this Easter Celtic "Colchis" or "Kolchis,", the obverse described as "Stylized head of Athena" and the reverse described as "Highly stylized Nike." 

Nice coins 🙂. I'm a fan of the Kolchis imitations. I only have a Lysimachus one though:

image.png.eabdb738e7826c1c80989a6ff0df0010.png

• Like 6

13 hours ago, DCCR said:

It's hard to say. I've checked all [1] the coins recorded from these dies and this is the only one that shows the roundel in front of the horse.  The roundel is poorly engraved on a number of other dies so it might have been this shape from the start.   Die breaks on the obverse and reverse put Lee's coin after the CR one, and the entire paw (actually a hairlock) seems to be broken on that, so it does look like Lee's is recut, although it would be nice to see some other coins that show this portion as well to be sure.

[1] Caveat - some of the coins don't have die numbers assigned to them so I can't be sure they aren't matches.  I quick check suggests that they aren't, but I'm not die matching them to be 100% sure

Many thanks,

I have found this link i will have a good luck through it.

https://iacb.arch.ox.ac.uk/id/abc.1722