Jump to content

Caligula, Carthago Nova: who is CN ATEL FLAC CN POM FLAC II VIR


Recommended Posts

Salve!

I am interested in the Caligula Province Bronzes from Carthago Nova, Spain:
https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/search/browse?magistrate_id[]=800 

They were probably issued by the two "duovir quinquennalis" (two magistrates for five years) CN ATEL FLAC and CN POM FLAC. 

Undoubtedly, these should be two persons of the Gens Flacci:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaccus 

 

But I can't find the two people. 

CN ATEL FLAC should be Gnaeus Atellus / Atellius (?) Flaccus, CN POM FLAC should be Gnaeus Pompeius Flaccus. But I just can't find any information on the net about either person - even somehow when I take similar names.

But sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. Do you know any information about these or either of these people? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The British Museum lists both a moneyers. No further information.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/term/BIOG206806

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/term/BIOG206807

 

EDIT:

the "Coin Collector Manual" translates the complete legend as:

Under Cneius Atellius Flaccus and Cneius Pompeius Flaccus, the Decemvirs for five years of the victorious Carthago Julia Nova.

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, shanxi said:

Yes, I have already seen the British Museum - but thank you, of course. Unfortunately, only the abbreviations of the names and no further information on either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

But I just can't find any information on the net about either person

This is a case for Roman prosopography and a visit to a reading room of a specialiced library.
I doubt wether the "net" will help.
Did you consult RE?

https://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Paulys_Realencyclopädie_der_classischen_Altertumswissenschaft

Regards
Klaus

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Dwarf said:

This is a case for Roman prosopography and a visit to a reading room of a specialiced library.
I doubt wether the "net" will help.
Did you consult RE?

https://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Paulys_Realencyclopädie_der_classischen_Altertumswissenschaft

Regards
Klaus

Unfortunately, I have only the "small Pauly" at hand - and there I have everything through under Atellius Flaccus and Pompeius Flaccus. Unfortunately without success.
 

20 hours ago, shanxi said:

The British Museum lists both a moneyers. No further information.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/term/BIOG206806

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/term/BIOG206807

 

EDIT:

the "Coin Collector Manual" translates the complete legend as:

Under Cneius Atellius Flaccus and Cneius Pompeius Flaccus, the Decemvirs for five years of the victorious Carthago Julia Nova.

Thanks for the addendum. Then I already know the exact family gens. I wasn't sure about "POM" for example - it doesn't necessarily have to be the Pompeius gene - but it's good to know which genes it is exactly.

The only thing I found a little bit is from Pompeius Flaccus from Spain:

„His Hispanic origin is more a probable hypothesis than a certainty, since this personage is only known by a reference of Pliny (Natural History, 15, 91), who assures that it was he who introduced in Hispania the pistachio (Latin pistacium).

According to this author, Pompeius Flaccus was stationed in the Roman province of Syria with L. Vitellius, the father of the future Emperor, during the time he was its governor between the years 35 and 37, at the end of the government of Tiberius (14-37); in Hispania he could leave some clienteles, to which Syme supposed that the Pompeius Flaccus mentioned in a text of Carthago Nova (Cartagena) could belong.“


However, I have now found some literature. I know that both names appear in this publication and the people are described. Only I must now consider whether this is worth about 65€ to me because of two names.

https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.3138/9781442676756/html
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...