Constantine II with odd sidecurl hairstyle

Heliodromus

This coin just sold in Kuenker 377 (# 6050).

It's an unlisted siliqua of Constantine II from Rome 337-340 AD (weight 2.87g).

What jumps out is the sidecurl hairstyle - I've never seen anything like it on a roman coin!

Can anyone put this in context - have you seen or heard of this before ? It brings to mind Orthodox Jewish Payot, but that can't be the reason here.

Is it even ancient (it appears pretty convincing to me) ?

image.png.89c3877b76a62b0961781173a2254fe9.png

• Like 7
  • Yes 1

The siliqua with the sideburns is spectacular. I think this type of facial hairstyle was meant to signify adolescent age. 

Here is a common coin of Crispus, which, rather unusually for Crispus also shows these sideburns.

FL IVL CRISPVS NOB CAES   // PROVIDEN-TIAE CAESS

Mint: Rome
weight: 3.1g

5496.png

• Like 3

Just now, Tejas said:

The siliqua with the sideburns is spectacular. I think this type of facial hairstyle was meant to signify adolescent age. 

You think it's just (oddly depicted) sideburns? Possible, I suppose, and would make more sense if that is what the engraver was going for, but it really has the appearance to me of something loose hanging with a twisted top portion.

I think it is an elaborate artistic interpretation of sideburns. Something like a pre-beard which appears on coins depicted adolescent emperors, aged 15 to 20 years. I'm quite certain the coin is genuine.

Edited by Tejas
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Romancollector said:

I believe that a die match is plated in RIC

Ah, yes! I was sloppy and was going by the auction description which said it's unlisted, but it is in fact RIC VIII Rome 1 (R5), and as you say die-linked to the RIC plate coin from Oxford Ashmolean.

• Like 2