Conder Token Architecture

Ancient Aussie

Here is another that I recently picked up with that word Ancient inscribed I couldn't go past.

Alexander Swap's Dundee (Angusshire) copper Conder halfpenny token dated 1797. Obverse: View of a church with legend: "DUNDEE HALFPENNY 1797", "ST. ANDREW’S CHURCH FOUNDD. 1772". Reverse: View of ruined archway and battlements with legend: "COWGATE PORT * THE LAST REMAINS OF OUR ANCIENT WALLS *", "W WRIGHT JUN DES" with the star over "F". Edge inscription: "PAYABLE AT THE WAREHOUSE OF ALEXR SWAP & CO * + +". Alexander Swap & Co., were merchants with a business in Overgate, Dundee. Ex-MacMillan Collection. Below is an early Victorian photograph of the same archway.  

DH.Angus.021.photo.jpg

DH.Angus_022a_001.jpg.b4bfdeebfb9a256e5cd86da7a4c9ac0a.jpg

• Clap 1

That is Absolutely Brilliant.  You are truly an education regarding these.  ...I have to be reminded of the original, 18th century 'Academy of Ancient Music,' for anything of, what, maybe the preceding generation backward, after which the seminal original-instruments ensemble of the 1970's was named.

5 minutes ago, JeandAcre said:

For the record, this one was surprisingly inexpensive.  Best of luck!

(Edit:) and Thank you for your graciousness about my veering of the subject of the thread!

That's okay I shouldn't have specified architecture, any tokens is good enough, just because I'm an architecture nut doesn't mean everyone else has to be ......😃 

• Like 1

Just now, Ancient Aussie said:

That's okay I shouldn't have specified architecture, any tokens is good enough, just because I'm an architecture nut doesn't mean everyone else has to be ......😃 

...Well, actually, I'm on your page, but more demonstratively where, say, 11th-c. Salian denars are concerned.  --But architecture really lends itself to Conders (as it frankly doesn't to Salian denars), between the module and the evident skill of the engravers.

And this one has an interesting story if not tragic.

image.jpeg.1b95f72373f3684c5e7ecfc75d30861e.jpeg

Woodcock's Bank Enniscorthy (Wexford) copper halfpenny token dated 1800. Obverse: View of a castle by the sea with a portcullis formed by six vertical and one horizontal bar in the gateway and legend: "PAYABLE AT THE BANK OF R. W. ENNISCORTHY". Reverse: Shield with monogram "RW" hanging from the bough of a tree with hills and a castle in the background: "A. D. 1800". Plain edge. The issuer, R. Woodcock was a banker at Enniscorthy. The reverse design depicting "Vinegar Hill" refers to a tragedy there two years before the issue of the coin when there was an uprising of the United Irishmen in Dublin. This was soon suppressed, however, the peasants in the south followed suite and also revolted. Armed with fowling pieces, French muskets and long pikes, they captured several towns including Enniscorthy and Wexford. The rebels then organised a training camp for their 6,000 strong force on Vinegar Hill. In June, General Lake attacked the Vinegar Hill camp and routed the half-trained force and, with Major-General John Moore’s recapture of Wexford, the rebellion disintegrated. The bodies of around 500 men who were killed in the battle lie buried in a mass grave at the foot of the hill. Nice collectable condition with uneven colour, see photograph.

Portcullis bar going nearly across six perpendicular bars and "Ns" with full serifs, see below.

image.jpeg.6b5f8553322033c81f0b7171a1585754.jpeg

D&H Wexford No: 4. Diameter 28.8mm.

• Like 1

Very evocative, @Ancient Aussie, and a superb example, instantly reminiscent of Monnerons of the French Revolution.

Speaking of the general period, I know nothing about what was happening in Ireland, apart from fragmentary mentions of uprisings there, maybe from the 1790's.  Were the Irish nationalists republican (please, for us Yanks, keep it a small 'r'), for instance under French inspiration?  To wallow in the obvious, that would give their efforts a whole dimension over and above the Scots Jacobite risings.

Thanks for the info on the price range!

The sad thing about Colchester is that it was never built to its full intended height, which would have made it rival the Tower of London.  But that didn't (pun alert:) keep it from being in active use.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JeandAcre said:

Very evocative, @Ancient Aussie, and a superb example, instantly reminiscent of Monnerons of the French Revolution.

Speaking of the general period, I know nothing about what was happening in Ireland, apart from fragmentary mentions of uprisings there, maybe from the 1790's.  Were the Irish nationalists republican (please, for us Yanks, keep it a small 'r'), for instance under French inspiration?  To wallow in the obvious, that would give their efforts a whole dimension over and above the Scots Jacobite risings.

There is a token/medallion of the Jacobite rising as well.

Duke of Cumberland Jacobites Justly Rewarded at Culloden Medallion 1746

PM.Woolf.55.10.001.jpg

Pinchbeck's Duke of Cumberland Rebellion Justly Rewarded at Culloden Medallion  dated 1746. Obverse: Bust of the Duke of Cumberland to right with legend: "WILL : DUKE  CUMB : BRITISH  HERO : BORN 15 AP 1721". Reverse: Battle scene Duke of Cumberland on horseback with firing cannon and Government forces firing at retreating Jacobites with a body and severed limbs etc., lying around with legend: " REBELLION  JUSTLY  REWARDED • AT  •  CULLODEN  16 AP 1746".

• Yes 1

Another 'Wow' medallion.  ...Not a nice guy, that Duke of Cumberland.  

...There are 17th and earlier 18th-century Scots emigrants on both sides of my family.  And between New England and Maryland, both were criminal transportees.  Do the maths on that!!!  I always wanted to think the later one (1719) might have been a Jacobite, maybe in connection with the earlier rising.  But an aunt found his court record in the Public Records Office.  Turns out he tried to fence a ...wait for it... copy of the Book of Common Prayer.  As a final punch line, he signs the document with an "X."

...Yep America was the Austraila before Australia.... :<}

• Like 1