The Pinnacle of Roman Coin Portraiture

David Atherton

50 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

How do you do it? How do you get these realistic pictures of the coins? I don't mean the background or the floating. The coins look so natural - and especially the colors are so realistic. Respect!

Thanks! I guess maybe my camera's software does a good job. For most of my photos I use an old Samsung Galaxy S6 smartphone. My setup, if you can call it that, is extremely basic and makeshift.

For good color, I found that a light gray paper background works pretty well with my phone camera's white balance and other settings. For lighting I use a 15-watt, 1650 lumen "Daylight spectrum" LED desk lamp. I made a "light box" out of a couple of pieces of paper, stapled together. I have found that what works best is usually to point the lamp straight up within the light box for softer, more indirect lighting. Sometimes, though, I am waving the light around with one hand and holding a piece of paper in the other, trying to direct the light in as best a way as I can. Sometimes it can become a delicate setup, with pieces of white and black paper balanced precariously around the coin as I hold the lamp aloft. The phone camera is always rested on a couple of books for stability.

Silver coins, especially small silver, is more difficult because the silver is more reflective. What I have found helps tremendously for bringing out the detail on a silver coin, is to place a small ring of black paper around the coin. This really makes the details pop out, and gives the coin's edge a dark border, making it easier to cut the coin image out later in editing. The ring should be somewhat larger in diameter than the coin, and taller. How much so depends on how much of an effect you want.

I also use the photo editing software on my computer (GIMP, it's free) to adjust color balance, temperature, etc as needed to create an image as close to real life as possible. However, most times I don't need to do much, because I try hard to get the color, exposure, etc figured out as I'm taking the photos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2