Gordianus Aureus - plugged / repaired hole?

Prieure de Sion

• Prieure de Sion changed the title to Gordianus Aureus - plugged / repaired hole?
9 minutes ago, Ocatarinetabellatchitchix said:

90% of time they were holed over the head. When they are repaired by a pro, you wouldn’t be able to see any trace unless you have a microscope… Try to search the provenance of the coin, if it was holed a picture exists somewhere…

Thank you!

I think the hole - whether there is one or not - is no longer the primary problem. "We" have just found out that this aureus has been in the auction several times and has never been sold!

One has to say about that. Aureus by Gordianus are very expensive. I don't know of a single auction, this year or last year, where a Gordianus aureus was offered and it didn't sell. To the best of my knowledge, every Gordianus aureus was sold at every auction. Why not this Gordianus? Why has it been left lying around several times?

The price of 3,8000 euros is completely justified. And I ask myself why it has been shamed several times by connoisseurs at this price? This makes me suspicious. And that is why I am not prepared to invest a large sum.

I may be doing the auction house and/or the coin an injustice - but if there are doubts - then it is bad to invest a lot of money.

• Like 1

There is no plugged hole but some scratches above the head. BAC usually has retail starting prices and, thus, does not sell a lot. They are offering the same coins over and over again. Given the current market situation, 3'800 EUR is not overly expensive, but not cheap either. I think you can get a better one for the same amount with some patience.

Edited by SimonW
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SimonW said:

There is no plugged hole but some scratches above the head. BAC usually has retail starting prices and, thus, does not sell a lot. They are offering the same coins over and over again. Given the current market situation, 3'800 EUR is not overly expensive, but not cheap either. I think you can get a better one for the same amount with some patience.

I'm just wondering why it's been left behind so often. You're right - it's not too expensive - but it's not cheap either. But exactly these Aureus (not too expensive, not too cheap) don't really stay down - in the long run. And that made me insecure somehow.

You're right - if you're insecure - you shouldn't buy either.