The new NGC AirView Holder

Kali

Thanks for posting this. Not a huge fan of slabs, but I do have a few and a few of those are the new style. Mostly Medieval issues that could be a bit brittle. While I like the "prong less" presentation, two of these coins have slipped from the center of the holder to the edge. I am glad to know that there is an internal capsule as that makes me feel better about stress that the holder might be putting on the coin. The coins don't currently slide around in the capsule, but they evidently became displace during mailing since the auction pictures showed them well centered. I have been lazy about contacting NGC to see if these coins could be re-slabbed safely but that is my intention. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 3:21 PM, red_spork said:

It's good to see NGC trying a technique that allows you to view more of the coin. They've almost reached the pinnacle of protection and accessibility that is keeping your coins raw and handling them with your hands. I for one can't wait until they introduce the NGC HandView holder

image.png.c729bc364115bff7d3472e1631cb4183.png

Yes I would say the Italians at Abafil Have them crushed in this hand view holder department.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

I recently received a coin from Roma Auctions that was supplied in a "floating" holder. I had no intention of keeping the coin in the holder as I prefer Abafil trays but it piqued my curiosity as a possibility to display larger coins. I found them on Amazon and you can see them here including a video of how they work.   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coin-Display-Box-Challenge-Medallions/dp/B0743BCPXC/ref=sr_1_7?crid=VEBXPMQBMDEU&keywords=skelang+10+pcs+coin+display&qid=1685778797&s=kitchen&sprefix=skelang+10+pcs+coin+display%2Ckitchen%2C88&sr=1-7The polymer is similar to "cling film" for food wrapping.

I bought a pack of 10 of these to display larger coins such as World Crowns and British milled silver in a display cabinet. The experiment was not totally successful as the coins will move very easily, particularly heavier coins, with movement.  In one product advertisement, the manufacturer illustrates sealing the object with a hairdryer which I believe could be detrimental to the coin and prone to accident. Another irritation was the propensity of the film to attract fingerprints. If you have a series , for example the "good" Emperors, these have the advantage of being able to display them easily , allow them to be handled with no danger of dropping them or having acidic fingerprints added. At the end of the display they can be easily returned to the trays. Clearly these are no use to a grading company as the coins aren't sealed but as a method of display, assuming no chemical reaction issues with the polymer, they will serve a purpose to some.

Unfortunately I can rarely display my coins as family and friends have little interest in them which I guess is commonplace, despite my efforts to enthuse them.

image.png.236d41a8a24ff54fb6c500fcf62534c1.pngimage.png.f817b6947c7679429080ffe1efc436b3.png

Edited by Dafydd
Typo
  • Like 1