ugh, FedEx is the worst...

Nerosmyfavorite68

Argggh, FedEx is the worst!  I knew they were terrible, after my 2015 turntable debacle.

I ordered from Savoca for my birthday, the good points being that they sent the coins out extremely quickly, and shipping was $21.

The bad point: It was FedEx!  I had set up delivery manager in 2015 and tweaked it to tell them to put it in a certain place.  Well, I get the Delivery Manager delivered email, and it was just  plopped before my front door.  The instructions weren't hard at all, and required about 1.5 seconds of extra effort.  I was at home, so it wasn't sitting out there long at all.

I wonder if I could get Savoca to send it via post?  I'd rather it take a month than be plopped at the front door. I also wonder if I could get them to require a signature on expensive orders?  I'd rather not have a $591 order plopped at the door.

Theft isn't so much a problem here, but what if it's raining?  I don't want my coins getting soaked. 

• Gasp 1

I suppose it depends on where you live.  Here, I prefer the USPS with FedEx, UPS and DHL all being well worth avoiding.  The only consistently really good service to my address is Amazon probably because I live ten miles from one of their huge facilities and they deliver it themselves without involving one of the 'others'.  That works fine for 'regular' merchandise but Amazon does not do anything for coins.  Maybe they are right saying that I don't need what they don't sell???  It is a fact that I already have too many coins but I also have too many cameras, lenses, tools, books...............  I see a pattern here.

• Like 6

Fedex lost me a great-looking denier of Raymond III of Tripolis with extra special lettering and style at Cedex Charles de Gaulle in 2020. Then all orders that went through there had absurd delays. It seems they lost a lot of logistics and pilots and some routes are horrible even inside the EU an the routing is terrible because they cannot rely on the pre-pandemic network.

• Like 1
  • Gasp 1
  • Cry 1

I spent a while this afternoon trying to sort out a FedEx problem at work.  Our lab shipped a package to a collaborator in France at the end of August.  Well, I guess FedEx thought our package deserved a vacation, because it's spent the last three weeks hanging out in Papeete, Tahiti.  The FedEx website even claimed the package would be "out for delivery" by the end of today.  Not very likely, unless the local driver in Tahiti is planning to drive the 13,000 kilometers to Paris!  I finally managed to talk to an actual human at FedEx, so maybe they'll redirect the package to the country that is plainly marked on the address label...  

I’m amazed they actually delivered your package.

Usually they don’t deliver mine at all. They attempt to deliver to my home while I’m working in the office. They won’t leave it in a safe place because “the sender didn’t tick that box”. They require my physical signature! Can they deliver it to my office instead? No, the sender didn’t tick that box either. So they’ll attempt three deliveries to my home, even though they know I won’t be home, and then return to sender!

They are the most frustrating organisation I have ever dealt with (from a very strong field). They prioritise process over commonsense and customer service. Hopefully they get disrupted by a parcel delivery service that can actually deliver parcels.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

I wonder if I could get Savoca to send it via post?

I asked them that question 3 weeks ago. Here is the answer:

We can offer you that we send the coins by international goods mail, but the package is not insured and you have to bear the full risk. If the package is lost or damaged, we cannot refund your money. We are not responsible for this shipping method. International goods mail is not one of our standard shipping methods, so it may take up to a week to ship the coins. Unfortunately also the delivery time of this method is longer than our normal shipping method. The shipping time here is 2-4 weeks.
Please let us know which shipping method you prefer.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at any time.
Have a nice day!
With kind regards,
Julia
Edited by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Deinomenid said:

It won't help lost mail, but it can help the plopped at front door  part - I have my fedex parcels delivered to a store near me - in a Walgreens in my case. That way I don't have to worry about porch theft at least.

I use Walgreens, too, to receive and hold FedEx packages and have never had a problem. 

• Like 2

My last international shipment via FedEx was held up in Customs waiting on a release form that I had to fill out and sign. For four days straight the FedEx help desk told me that "their system was down" and they could not send me a copy of the form until it was "up" again. Finally, I dug out the same form from a shipment two years ago, edited it in Adobe and sent it in anyway. The package was released the next day. I don't know if they were hacked or what, but recent problems may be due to this computer system issue.

As advised on the other topic, I never had issues with FedEx losing my package. Leaving the packages on the front door is not an option for them (hopefully) as I live in an apartments block.

But delays, oh boy. And it is frustrating when I need to take WFH days for no reason. Their scheduled delivery day is a good joke.

I asked them too about alternate shipping method too but with me they missed the post part (anyway, not sure if packages that are not insured are a good idea though). Long story short, FedEx or nothing.

FedEx is one of the reasons I started ignoring last Savoca auctions. They are a good house (except for their descriptions where all the coins are very fine or nearly very fine 🤣 but I am not bothered since I grade my coins myself). They prepare the packages extraordinarily fast. But I got bored of waiting, wondering when should I take WFH and dealing with incompetent FedEx support.

Last example

image.png.da0883c2c8b3ed8347c445d7a6b6a616.png

image.png.a1f982c7a8abb309909b80883a199a7e.png

The route FedEx used to deliver my package from Germany to Romania. Barcelona is not in the normal route at all and Savoca staff seemed shocked as well.

image.png.643572153989c07e0236d7842edc16ca.png

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1
  • Gasp 1

I ALWAYS request postal shipping to Canada.  Every auction house I've ever used (including Savoca) has agreed to do this, with one exception (Naumann) due to weird Austrian Post rules for Canada.

In my experience, if you'd like to get some kind of special service, whether that's shipping, holding a coin until next auction, or whatever, it never hurts to ask.  Most auction houses are happy to help.

An ex Savoca coin, shipped via post:

image.jpeg.f800ee67060f5a59833b31c3f93ad996.jpeg

EGYPT, Alexandria: Tranquillina tetradrachm, year 5 (241/2); Köln 2681; Dattari (Savio) 4847; K&G 73.1; RPC VII.2 Online (unassigned; ID 2883, #26 this coin); Emmett 3442.5

• Like 6