New Additions to My Julia Domna Collection

LONGINUS

@LONGINUS...

Lovely coins and beautifully displayed as always....

Here's  my two showing the different styles from West to East...

JULOBREV__1_-removebg-preview.png.b40a4d5794cb5d102955ada13f6b9c65.png

Julia Domna. Augusta, AD 193-217. AR Denarius (3,84g). Rome mint.
Struck under Septimius Severus, circa AD 200-207.
Obverse.JVLIA AVGVSTA Draped bust right
Reverse.PIETAS AVGG Pietas standing left, holding acerrum (incence box) and dropping incense onto lighted and garlanded altar to left.
RIC IV 572 (Septimius); RSC 150.

normal_JULIA_DOMNA_EASTERN.jpg.b5f5587c0020b6da9a030592098a9c5a.jpg

Julia Domna. Augusta, 193-217 AD. AR Denarius (3.23 gm, 19mm). Laodicea mint. Struck under Septimius Severus, 198-202 AD.
Obv.: IVLIA AVGVSTA... Draped bust right.
Rev.: PVDICITIA... Pudicitia seated left, hand raised to breast......

RIC IV #644 (Severus); RSC 168a

• Like 14

Nice coins and presentation:

Here are some denarii

normal_Julia_Domna_2.jpg.4f00cb1fc95a9ea9106d19893917df1f.jpg

Julia Domna
AR-Denar, Rome Mint
Obv.: IVLIA AVGVSTA, bust right
Rev.: VENVS VICTRIX, Venus, standing left, holding helmet and palm, resting elbow on column, shield at feet.
Ag, 3.22g, 19.5mm
Ref.: RIC IV 581, CRE 402 [S]

normal_Julia_Domna_R687_fac.jpg.f5df5dc09b464d42991d402e52d195f8.jpg

Julia Domna
AR-Denar, Rome Mint, AD 211-217
Obv.: IVLIA PIA FELIX AVG, draped bust right, hair in horizontal ridges, bun at the back, looped plait from ear around back of neck
Rev.: DIANA LVCIFERA (light bringing Diana), Diana Lucifera standing facing, head left, holding flaming long torch transverse left with both hands
Ag, 3.175g, 18.7mm, 0°
Ref.: RIC IV 373a; RSC III 32; BMCRE V p. 430, C1

normal_Julia_Domna_04.jpg.ca9675c1fc7a85f34f80855d7f359375.jpg

Julia Domna
AR-Denar, Laodicea Mint
Obv.: IVLIA AVGVSTA, Draped bust right
Rev.: LAETITIA, Laetitia standing left, holding purse and anchor.
Ag, 2.94g, 19mm
Ref.: RIC IV 641 var. (Laetitia holding purse instead of wreath), CRE 364 [C] var.

• Like 14

Beautiful coins, @LONGINUS, with lovely toning!

Here are some of my Domna denarii. These are from the AK collection.

[IMG]
Roman AR Denarius, 3.66 g, 18.2 mm, 1 h.
Rome mint, AD 195.
Obv: IVLIA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust right.
Rev: VESTA, Vesta seated left, holding palladium in right hand, transverse scepter in left.
Refs: RIC 582; BMCRE --; Cohen 223 var. (aureus); RCV --; Hill 187; CRE 415.
Notes: Ex-Perron collection 1960; ex-A.K. collection; ex-CNG lot #614, Triton XX.

[IMG]
Julia Domna, AD 193-217.
Roman AR denarius, 3.53 g, 20.0 mm, 12 h.
Rome, AD 202-203.
Obv: IVLIA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
Rev: HILARITAS, Hilaritas standing left, holding patera and palm branch.
Refs: RIC 558; BMCRE p. 161, *; Cohen/RSC 78; RCV --; CRE 351; Hill 554; ERIC II 97.
Notes: Ex-CNG; Ex-AK collection; Wildwinds "plate" coin.

[IMG]
Julia Domna, AD 193-217.
Roman AR denarius, 3.37 g, 17.6 mm, 1 h.
Rome, AD 196-211.
Obv: IVLIA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
Rev: VENVS FELIX, Venus standing left, holding apple in right hand and drawing out fold of drapery with left hand.
Refs: RIC 580; BMCRE 85-89; Cohen 198; RCV --; CRE 397; Hill 379, 394.
Notes: Clashed dies. Ex-Perron collection, 1960; ex-AK collection; CNG Triton XX, lot 614.

• Like 13

This is probably my favourite JDs in my collection.

Julia Domna Denarius
Obv:– IVLIA DOMNA AVG, Draped bust right
Rev:– FELECI[TAS] TEMPOR, Basket of grains and fruit.
Minted in Emesa. A.D. 194 - 195
Reference(s) – cf RIC IV 619; cf BMCRE 415;

The FELECI is clear but I am supposing the TAS based upon the spacing and what would appear to be the ghosting of the letter that have been lost through clogging.

RI_065bz_img.jpg

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1

2 hours ago, maridvnvm said:

This is probably my favourite JDs in my collection.

I can not say it is my favorite Domna (too many choices) but I am quite fond of this basket coin partly because I also have the same die used with a Septimius obverse. 

rk5390b01569lg.jpg.f48e238a204a56f1a8bcb839598b1ed0.jpgrg2140bb1843.jpg.6b0ec07a097a675ab471547fe88e3add.jpg

My die is clearly without TAS but another Septimius has the TAS in large and bold letters - so large in fact that space for the final R became a problem. 

rg2160bb0665.jpg.7769cb37a49584e5c1272a8ec011f177.jpg

These Eastern coins did not show quite the uniformity of style and spacings that was common at Rome.  Collecting a full set of the dies available for any of these will not be easy and not something I will be attempting (I gave up buying die variations just because I did not have one about 20 years ago).  I do however find interest in the sharing of the die between the couple and the fact that the last Septimius above used larger letters pushing both of the I's past the point of the bust.  That adds to the IMO unanswered question of how much of the various legend differences were intentional and how much was a matter of not really caring for minor details of consistency.  Coin collectors care a lot when there is a variation of a letter or three but that does not mean that the mint that made the coins saw that in the same way.  These two dies of Septimius show what does seem like a significant (to them) difference with the forced split of SE-V.  One even shows a clear dot between the letters SE.V.  I tend to believe that there was a meaning to many of these dots and spaces but I have never been shown any convincing evidence that anyone understands the 'rules' observed at the mint (wherever it was at the time that die was made).  Our experts are prone to putting forth their guesses as new found facts making light of the previous generation of guesses.  Changing what was 'Emesa' to 'Antioch' or 'Cappadocia' or 'Syria' or whatever come next does not make it so.  It does not even rule out my pet theory of a mobile mint either travelling with the emperor or relocated as the need arose using a mix of mobile staff and local talent.  While we won't be around in a hundred years to see the then current guesses and/or firmly substantiated theories, I would love to know the 'system' favored by scholars yet unborn working at museums (assuming they have not all been closed by then) or collecting at home (assuming that is still legal by then).  Will we have more mints populated by coins now considered 'barbarous' or fewer with current differences lumped together for convenience in cataloging?  

Edited by dougsmit
spelling
  • Like 11

I do not have many coins of Julia Domna

Julia Domna Ar Antoninianus 215-217 AD Minted during reign of Caracalla Obv Bust right draped on crescent wearing stephane Rv Luna driving biga left RIC 379a 5.08 grms 23 mm Photo by W. Handen

jdomnaant4.jpg.8f5843a32befa220ebbcccb0456fade4.jpg

Julia Domna was featured on the Antoninianus as well as most of the other denominations minted during the reign of Caracalla. During his reign she received the title FELIX or lucky. One wonders what she might have thought of that.

• Like 10