ΙΟΥΔΑΙΑΣ ΕΑΛWΚΥΙΑΣ (Judaea Capta)!

David Atherton

I'm extremely happy to have recently acquired another grail coin ... from a CNG auction no less, which is no mean feat!

RPC2310.jpg.a349e12d465c493f109ad055863a1586.jpg

Vespasian

Æ21, 6.94g
Caesarea Maritima mint, 71-73 AD
Obv:
ΑΥΤΟΚΡ ΟΥΕΣΠ ΚΑΙΣ ΣΕΒ; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
Rev: ΙΟΥΔΑΙΑΣ ΕΑΛWΚΥΙΑΣ; Nike standing to r., foot on helmet, inscribing a shield set on a palm tree
RPC 2310 (3 spec.). Hendin 1445.
Ex CNG eAuction 523, 7 September 2022, lot 358. Formerly in NGC holder #6158320-003, grade ch VF, strike 4/5, surface 2/5, repatinated.

The Roman authorities in Judaea struck a localised 'Judaea Capta' issue at the Caeserea Maritima mint early in the reign of Vespasian. The series, featuring the reverse legend ΙΟΥΔΑΙΑΣ ΕΑΛWΚΥΙΑΣ ('Judaea Capta' in Greek), strongly echoes the imperial bronze types produced at Rome and Lugdunum. Coins were issued for both Vespasian and Titus Caesar with the same Victory reverse design. Oddly enough, Vespasian's coins from the issue are much rarer than those of Titus, perhaps owing to Titus's recent achievement successfully concluding the siege of Jerusalem. The Caesarean issue most likely dates contemporaneously with the imperial ones struck in the spring and summer of 71, perhaps not long after the celebratory joint Judaean War triumph of Vespasian and Titus Caesar. It is interesting to note these coins would have circulated in the very region where the Jewish Revolt took place.

In trade this type featuring Vespasian is tough to come by! It's been on my want-list for quite some time.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by David Atherton
  • Like 19
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

David, Congrats on your Judaea Capta score ☺️! Last February I felt fortunate to score a Titus Tet from Caesarea Maritima that had long been on my want list. Judean & related coinage usually fetch high prices on CNG auctions 🤨.

1708928747_CNG510lot585_2image.jpg.7b26a1aaff3d7116026234e595db1410.jpg

JUDAEA, Caesarea Maritima. Titus as Caesar, AD 69-79 (dated Year 3 of Vespasian, AD 70/1). AR Tetradrachm: 14.65 gm, 14.65 gm, 12 h. Obverse: Titus laureate with aegis. Reverse: Eagle standing on caduceus, with wings spread, hold wreath in beak, bow & quiver over his left wing; club in left field. McAlee 381; Prieur 142; RPC II 1969. Rare, 4 examples known to Prieur, 5 examples listed in RPC. Ex Dr. Jay M. Galst Collection; Ex CNG E-Auction 510, lot 585.

The early issues of Vespasian & Titus had been attributed to Antioch, Syria, but have been reattributed to the mint of Caesarea, Maritima by RPC. A protonic absorption analysis was done on the example in the ANS Collection, & it was determined that its' composition was 89.5% silver & 9.8% copper. All the examples I've seen of this coin type are well worn & struck on flans of small diameter. 

• Like 8