Ex-BCD- Why were only some bronze coins photographed by him?

EtTu

I'm going to be adding some coins to the cabinet and I'm trying to do some research on them before doing so because, to be honest, I know next to nothing about them. One of the coins is this Ex-BCD coin from Atrax, Thessaly. All my silver Ex-BCDs include his photo cut outs, and out of all my Bronzes only this one. I thought I read somewhere that he only photographed the bronze ones that he lent out for research, but I cannot find that reference anymore. Does anyone know why all the solvers are photographed, but only a few Bronzes are? Thanks! PhotoRoom-20220917_122934.png.149ab9cde2fda0c2b44e8bfdff356555.pngPhotoRoom-20220917_123011.png.05153589f6a54a3a6b0d0f7cae9e8292.png

Edited by EtTu
  • Like 6

My best guess is that the man simply had too many coins. This is a Thessalian of his from a lot he sold. I doubt he'd recognize it, led alone have taken a picture of it. This comes coins provenance far out weighs its intrinsic value:

image.png.3f4673b772398f5144202852dab4721b.png

Thessaly, Thessalian League

circa 196-27 BCE

AE 16 mm, 6.3 gm

Obv: Helmeted head of Athena Itonia right, magistrate name above

Rev: Horse trotting right

Ref: SNG Cop 324-328

Ex. Joseph J Copeland, BCD, @Severus Alexander, @zumbly, @TIF et al

• Like 8

@Ryro I figured he didn't photograph bronze coins regularly because of the sheer amount of coins he had. But, he did photograph them occasionally and I was wondering what made him photograph a coin he normally would not have. I should have framed my question a little better. 

• Clap 1

I don't have an answer to your question - I do have this coin, ex-BCD, with tag and without photo.  I haven't had a lot of time for history & coins recently with other life events taking priority.  This one from Thessaly I found intriguing, my notes can be found here:

https://www.sullacoins.com/post/phillip-ii-and-the-perrhaiboi

image.png.e696db5482d64dd65ae41cf919fb654c.png

Thessaly, Perrhaiboi, 4th century BC, Æ Trichalkon (20mm, 6.62g, 12h)

Obv: Veiled head of Hera facing slightly left

Rev: ΠΕΡΡΑΙ[ΒΩΝ], Zeus standing left, holding scepter and thunderbolt; star to inner right

Ref: Rogers 438, fig. 238; BCD Thessaly I 1244; From the BCD Collection.

image.png.467e3fb89a16fa2ddc3293b5ef3416cf.png

• Like 4