Septimius Severus - Laodicea - AEQVITATI - draped and cuirassed bust

maridvnvm

Whilst I have an active interest in the eastern issues of Septimius Severus I no longer generally collect the later issues with my ineterest usually ending in the "Early IMP VIII" issue. There are some notable exceptions to this however and I will attempt to acquire some of the more unusual varieties if I can afford them.

Amongst the varieties I will chase after are the "fancy busts". These busts aren't particularly fancy when compared to Probus but do when compared to the "Laureate head right" which is predominant in these issues. The bust types that I am aware of are "Laureate, cuirassed", Laureate, draped" and "Laureate, draped and cuirassed". In this case I have managed to acquire an example of the "Laureate, draped and cuirassed" bust type from the IMP XI issue.

Obv:– L SEPT SEV AVG IMP XI PART MAX, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind
Rev:– AEQVITA-TI AVGG, Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopia
Minted in Laodicea ad Mare. A.D. 201
Reference(s) – RIC IV -; BMCRE -; RSC 22a

Same dies as Arnold lot 5 and Barry Murphy SEV-169.

2.51 gms, 18.73 mm. 0 degrees

RI_064vh_img.JPG

This coin seems to have some surface dirt still adhering in a few crevices. This image as the coin arrived with me. I will now contemplate whether to remove the dirt.

Martin

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

5 minutes ago, maridvnvm said:

Whilst I have an active interest in the eastern issues of Septimius Severus I no longer generally collect the later issues with my ineterest usually ending in the "Early IMP VIII" issue. There are some notable exceptions to this however and I will attempt to acquire some of the more unusual varieties if I can afford them.

Amongst the varieties I will chase after are the "fancy busts". These busts aren't particularly fancy when compared to Probus but do when compared to the "Laureate head right" which is predominant in these issues. The bust types that I am aware of are "Laureate, cuirassed", Laureate, draped" and "Laureate, draped and cuirassed". In this case I have managed to acquire an example of the "Laureate, draped and cuirassed" bust type from the IMP XI issue.

Obv:– L SEPT SEV AVG IMP XI PART MAX, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind
Rev:– AEQVITA-TI AVGG, Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopia
Minted in Laodicea ad Mare. A.D. 201
Reference(s) – RIC IV -; BMCRE -; RSC 22a

Same dies as Arnold lot 5 and Barry Murphy SEV-169.

2.51 gms, 18.73 mm. 0 degrees

RI_064vh_img.JPG

This coin seems to have some surface dirt still adhering in a few crevices. This image as the coin arrived with me. I will now contemplate whether to remove the dirt.

Martin

Nice score Martin, leave the coin "as is" ☺️. The die cutters at Laodicea ad Mare made some beautiful coins for Severus, I prefer the larger tetradrachms.

1274505060_Prieur1140.jpg.fb0a8276b70a734a0c53c92041778c27.jpg

961502230_SeptimiusSeverusPrieur1141AWKCollection.jpg.cff88575836ffda4cef83e294aa627a3.jpg

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

13 minutes ago, Al Kowsky said:

Nice score Martin, leave the coin "as is" ☺️. The die cutters at Laodicea ad Mare made some beautiful coins for Severus, I prefer the larger tetradrachms.

Laodicea is a beautiful collecting area ... the minting about the Severan time is great.

image.jpeg.077d171d2562c9616826f44523157b21.jpeg

Lucius Septimius Severus Pertinax, Aequitas, Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 198/202 AD, Material: Silver, Diameter: 18mm, Weight: 3.14g, Mint: Laodicea ad Mare, Syria, Reference: RIC IV Septimius Severus 500

image.jpeg.1ece0a62ebf8eae80ce22b42401eccc8.jpeg
Lucius Septimius Severus Pertinax, Annona, Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 198/202 AD, Material: Silver, Diameter: 18mm, Weight: 2.81g, Mint: Laodicea ad Mare, Syria, Reference: RIC IV Septimius Severus 501

image.jpeg.2d129823a83a22a39f10c551e7a5e939.jpeg
Lucius Septimius Severus Pertinax, Moneta, Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 198/202 AD, Material: Silver, Diameter: 21/18mm, Weight: 3.12g, Mint: Laodicea ad Mare, Syria, Reference: RIC IV Septimius Severus 510a

image.jpeg.cfdd454c7156fd5889d3d452d99d5441.jpeg
Marcus Aurelius Severus Antoninus Caracalla, Securitas, Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 200/201 AD, Material: Silver, Diameter: 20mm, Weight: 2.81g, Mint: Laodicea ad Mare, Syria, Reference: RIC IV Caracalla 351a

image.jpeg.2ea7c8e690875f551764859e7de1a343.jpeg
Publia Fulvia Plautilla, Concordia, Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 202/205 AD, Material: Silver, Diameter: 19.5mm, Weight: 2.93g, Mint: Laodicea ad Mare, Reference: RIC IV Caracalla 372

image.jpeg.cabc54bc7ce38ee99d382baf77bb19db.jpeg
Marcus Aurelius Severus Antoninus Caracalla, Tetradrachm of the Roman Imperial Period 212/213 AD, Material: Silver, Diameter: 28mm, Weight: 14.30g, Mint: Laodicea ad Mare, Syria Phoenice, Reference: Prieur 1173a

• Like 10

Some beautiful coins folks.

For those who wish to know. The IMP XI issue starts with a peculiar legend known from a single obverse die - "L SEP SEVERVS PER AVG PIV IMP XI PAR P M". It has an odd PIV in the titles and on some coins the titles extend on to the reverse. The type is known with three reverse types and are all quire rare. I have been fortunate enough to track down all three reverse types oevr the years,

Obv:– L SEP SEVERVS PER AVG PIV IMP XI PAR P M, laureate head right
Rev:– AR AD [T]R P VI COS II P P, Victory walking left, holding wreath in right hand, palm in left
Eastern mint. A.D. 198
Reference:– BMCRE page 280 *, citing RD page 105. RIC 494a corr.

RI_064nk_img~0.jpg

Rev:– AR AD TR P VI / COS II P P, Two captives seated back to back at the foot of a trophy
Eastern mint. A.D. 198
Reference:– BMCRE page 280 Sword, citing RD page 105. RIC 494b corr.

Slightly double struck on the reverse.

RI_064ox_img.jpg

Rev:– SALVTI AVGG, Salus seated left feeding snake coiled around altar
Eastern mint. A.D. 198
Reference:– BMCRE page 281 Note, citing RD page 102. RIC 497b corr.

RI_064ow_img.jpg

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1