Attalea but who is the emperor?

seth77

For the last 2 months I have been following a series of auctions, mainly lots, but also single items, from a collection referred to as belonging to a person from southern Germany, gathered during a period of 30 years, from 1970 to 2000. The inedit Ulpia Pautalia triassaria from Marcus Aurelius Caesar and the very rare Mallus large denomination for Mamaea that I have presented this summer both come from that collection.

This coin is also interesting:
attalea.jpg.055ef05023480fb8929b748c4dd75ed2.jpg

AE22x21mm 4.65g orichalcum
bare headed Imperial bust right, seen from back
ATTA - ΛEΩΝ; Athena standing facing, head turned left, wearing Corinthian helmet with plume, holding spear in left hand and possibly small Nike or patera in right hand

At first I thought that this was one of the Severus boys, perhaps Geta, but I could find this reverse neither for him nor for Caracalla. The remaining obverse legend seems to favor a longer Imperial name but I cannot make anything of it. The reverse lettering and the reverse type, which are more common after Gordian, coupled with the obverse effigy of a youth bare-headed would indicate Philip II Caesar and if so, it could have an analogy in RPC VIII unassigned ID 27020. The weight would also fit. But the bust style feels a bit older.

Could anyone confirm this attribution or help with a better one?

Thank you.

Edited by seth77
  • Like 3

Have searched for it on ISEGRIM, but without result. In all examples with standing Athena a shield is mentioned. And I do not see a shield.

Your idea with Geta or Caracalla sounds possible.  The usual obverse legend for Geta is Λ CΕΠ ΓΕΤΑC ΚΑΙCΑΡ. A legend break ΓΕΤ-ΑC might fit, though I don't see the following K.

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 3

Did not expect to deal with mainland Greece mints in this lot so I just went to the usual eastern cities and Attalea fit so well with the remaining lettering and even the iconography fit, although for a later period. Now I have to say, I am more satisfied with this attribution as in the little contact I have had with mints from mainland Greece during Roman times they seem to be rather scarce and even grotty specimens have their fans.

• Like 1