I need help with just one Palembang Sultanate Pitis Indonesian coin

thenickelguy

I knew I had to make an effort and had 5 different examples. There is only one left that I just can't find anything at all that resembles it. If I came here with all 5, that would be quite lazy of me and I would not have learned very much about these interesting coins.

Please help me with this one. It has me stumped. It is 19mm. Thank you!

I would be happy to provide better images if needed. It has quite weak script and it looks more like handwriting than all the others I have looked at. Believe me, I have looked for hours. No soap.

IndonesiaPalembangSultanatePitisTebohRound2Gallery.JPG.0fd2285729e424d0d769224534082f63.jpg.d2fffcae509f255198fdf39d2fef17e9.jpg

• Like 1

I read tentatively (from 3 o'clock, clockwise, base outward) ضرب في بلد ڤلامبڠ دار الاسلام (zarb fi beled Palembang dar al-Islam : "struck in the City of Palembang, Seat of Islam"). The calligraphy is barbarous. I don't immediately see a specific match in Frank's list but broadly type 11. If I find a match or my opinion changes, I'll update.

• Thanks 1

Awesome! I really appreciate the time and effort DLT!

3 hours ago, DLTcoins said:

I read tentatively (from 3 o'clock, clockwise, base outward) ضرب في بلد ڤلامبڠ دار الاسلام (zarb fi beled Palembang dar al-Islam : "struck in the City of Palembang, Seat of Islam"). The calligraphy is barbarous. I don't immediately see a specific match in Frank's list but broadly type 11. If I find a match or my opinion changes, I'll update.

If it is "barbarous" which I think is basically meaning contemporary counterfeit, (or issue imitating) we may not find an exact listed example?

Does "barbarous" mean about the same thing as "barbaric" when we see that in our Roman coinage? I think so.

I am going to label my holder as barbarous undated. circa 1800 for now.

21 minutes ago, thenickelguy said:

Awesome! I really appreciate the time and effort DLT!

If it is "barbarous" which I think is basically meaning contemporary counterfeit, (or issue imitating) we may not find an exact listed example?

Does "barbarous" mean about the same thing as "barbaric" when we see that in our Roman coinage? I think so.

I am going to label my holder as barbarous undated. circa 1800 for now.

"Barbarous" or "barbaric" should be taken as a comment on style, meaning 'not up to official standards'. Such coins are often contemporary counterfeits, but not necessarily. I don't know what criteria Frank used. I did notice he used the word "barbarous" for coins with odd calligraphy. The word that first popped into my head was "screwy". I would probably catalog it as "Robinson type 11 (or similar), very crude calligraphy".

Edited by DLTcoins
  • Smile 1