Did I score a Victory with this Diocletian?

Furryfrog02

I know I said I wasn't going to be buying any coins for awhile but I couldn't say "no" to this guy. I have seen very few coins of Diocletian with just Victory on the reverse.  Mos of the examples I did find had different obverse legends than mine. In fact, the only example I was able to find with my legend is featured on Nvmis Forvm's very own @Valentinian page on Diocletian

I looked and looked online but it is the only example I could find.  My buddy @lloydchristmas got me a picture of of his Sear 1270 entry but it doesn't have the 1270v as is referenced on Warren's page. I couldn't find an example on acsearch either when I looked.

Am I correct in thinking that this is a somewhat uncommon coin? Or am I way off base?

Here is my coin. I'm a bit bummed about the reverse. It looks like it had another coin on top of it which saved it from being really corroded but the exposed part is a bit worse for wear. Do you think there's anyway I can clean it up and make it nicer? Or should I leave it as is?

253943957_slazzer-edit-image(10).png.b69098847f737c747b7d3f7f2d51e07e.png

Thanks for looking! I look forward to seeing what you all have to say and if you have any Diocletians with a sole Victory reverse, please feel free to share them!

Edited by Furryfrog02
  • Like 15

I know that the sole Victory reverse occurs at Lugdunum and the following is mine

Obv:– IMP C C VAL DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev:– VICTORIA AVG, Victory, standing left holding wreath and palm
Minted in Lugdunum (A in left field). Emission 1, Officina 1, mid A.D. 285 – April A.D. 286
References:– Cohen 466. RIC V Pt 2 91 Bust Type C. Bastien 8.

normal_RI%20141at%20img.jpg

Yours however is Rome mint. A search on acsearch for "diocletian victoria rome 183" turns up a few examples matching yours.

• Like 7

I did own an example of this other sole Victory from Rome which is slightly scarcer

Obv:– IMP DIOCLETIANVS AVG, Radiate bust left, wearing imperial mantle, holding eagle headed sceptre
Rev:– PRIMIS X MVLTIS XX, Victory standing right, left, holding victory left foot on rock, inscribing VO/T X on shield on palm tree
Minted in Rome (_ R // XXID).
Reference:– Cohen 388. RIC V Pt. 2 177 Bust Type H

RI_141bt_img.jpg

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, maridvnvm said:

I did own an example of this other sole Victory from Rome which is slightly scarcer

Obv:– IMP DIOCLETIANVS AVG, Radiate bust left, wearing imperial mantle, holding eagle headed sceptre
Rev:– PRIMIS X MVLTIS XX, Victory standing right, left, holding victory left foot on rock, inscribing VO/T X on shield on palm tree
Minted in Rome (_ R // XXID).
Reference:– Cohen 388. RIC V Pt. 2 177 Bust Type H

RI_141bt_img.jpg

Thanks for the info!
I REALLY love that 2nd one. Beautiful!

I see on the acsearch of "diocletian victoria rome 183" that out of 10 results, the same coin was up for sale in 2010, 2017, 2019, and 2021 from inumis and another same coin was up for sale from CBG, once in their webstore and another in an auction in 2001.

Two other results are not for Diocletian but are instead coins of Constantine and maybe(?) Severina. Just coins from RIC 183.

That makes a grand total of 4 different coins.