Hello Everyone

Al Kowsky

I just joined the Ancient Coin Chat website thanks to Bing posting the info on the CoinTalk website. Hello to all my friends from that website & hopefully I can make new friends on this website too ☺️. I'm 74 years old & have been an ancient coin collector & numismatist for over 50 years. I enjoy sharing knowledge with other collectors & look forward to posting articles on this website about coins that interest me.

• Like 19

Nice to see you @Al Kowsky! Here is an Antioch tet in honor of your arrival. 
76C769F1-9612-4968-A716-9612103846E0.thumb.jpeg.cb59f23d316e8222873e33d731830c2d.jpeg

Philippus II 
AR Tetradrachm, Antioch mint, AD 248
Dia.: 27 mm
Wt.: 12.5 g
Obv.: ΑΥΤΟΚ Κ Μ ΙΟΥΛΙ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟC CΕΒ, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Philippus II right
Rev.: ΔHΜΑΡX ΕΞΟΥCΙΑC ΥΠΑΤΟΔ, Eagle standing right, holding a wreath in beak. ANTIOXIA / SC in exergue
Ref.: BMC 551, Prieur 474
Ex Qcumbor Collection 

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Welcome! 

Roman Syria, Seleucis and Pieria, Antioch. Elagabalus, AD 218-222.  Potin Tetradrachm (28mm, 13.93g, 11h). Antioch mint. Struck AD 219-220. Obv: AVT K M A-°°°-ANTωNЄINOC-CЄB; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind. Rev: ΔHMAPX ЄΞ YΠATOC TOB; Eagle standing facing, head left, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak; Δ-Є across upper field, star between legs. Ref: McAlee 764 (Rare); Prieur 255. Nearly Extremely Fine, well-centered, excellent strike and just a touch of wear on high points.

image.jpeg.0cee1397633ce535bcfbf1e7c6d3c6b8.jpeg

Edited by Edessa
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, Edessa said:

Welcome! 

Roman Syria, Seleucis and Pieria, Antioch. Elagabalus, AD 218-222.  Potin Tetradrachm (28mm, 13.93g, 11h). Antioch mint. Struck AD 219-220. Obv: AVT K M A-°°°-ANTωNЄINOC-CЄB; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind. Rev: ΔHMAPX ЄΞ YΠATOC TOB; Eagle standing facing, head left, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak; Δ-Є across upper field, star between legs. Ref: McAlee 764 (Rare); Prieur 255. Nearly Extremely Fine, well-centered, excellent strike and just a touch of wear on high points.

image.jpeg.0cee1397633ce535bcfbf1e7c6d3c6b8.jpeg

Edessa, That's a handsome Tet of Elagabalus 😊. To my knowledge no potin tetradrachms were struck from his reign 😉. Potin is an alloy of bronze, tin & lead. The tetradrachms of Elagabalus were struck from billon, & have a silver content that varies from 19-32%.

• Like 3

On 5/29/2022 at 7:52 PM, Al Kowsky said:

I just joined the Ancient Coin Chat website thanks to Bing posting the info on the CoinTalk website. Hello to all my friends from that website & hopefully I can make new friends on this website too ☺️. I'm 74 years old & have been an ancient coin collector & numismatist for over 50 years. I enjoy sharing knowledge with other collectors & look forward to posting articles on this website about coins that interest me.

Great to see you again Al Kowsky. I've always appreciated your knowledge and insights.

• Like 1