Just signed up from CT

airhead1983

Hi Everyone,

My name is Erin (johndakerftw on CT).

I just heard about this great place and thought I’d pop over.

I’m a bottom feeder collector of ancient coins from ancient Israel.  But, thanks to incredible generosity, I’ve become more of a general collector.

My latest purchase is of a coin that I thought was a Shekel of Tyre (one of my top wish list coins).  It’s in pretty rough shape, having lived most of the past couple thousand years in the sea.  

96BA2C50-150F-4B57-B19C-2431567D295B.jpeg.dc3d7b4c3ccf2d6aacaa4f73f08db0e3.jpegE3EAEBA3-6D29-437F-9603-25F86B8DD6F1.jpeg.369c5b49fe83a2c9e351eb69e8b0bbb1.jpeg

But, once I got it in hand, something caught my EYE.  

The obverse more closely resembles a Demetrios II tetradrachm rather than the Melquart of the shekel.

Its a bummer that it’s not my dream coin, but, I’m going to hold onto it.  It’s nice and hefty.  I think I’m going to use it as a pocket piece to show others if they express interest in ancients when I’m out and about.

Anyway, thanks for having me here!  I look forward to meeting new friends and learning from them!

Have a great day!

Erin

4F1CBF08-D715-4F53-8140-B51AAAD8EBE8.jpeg

• Like 17

Welcome Erin! 
Oof - sorry it isn’t what you thought it was but I’m glad you still like it! Really great idea to use it as a pocket piece, I’m sure lots of people will be interested by it. Hope you have a wonderful time here 🙂, this is a great place. 

• Like 1

I think you are far from an airhead, Erin. 🧐

Glad to see you here.  Here is a Judean coin to celebrate.

2FC0664D-6660-42EC-8C15-7F34AB437760.thumb.jpeg.e5a0602cd8b9c09c126f0f3db78a93f1.jpeg
Judaea
First Jewish War
AE Prutah, Jerusalem mint, struck ca. AD 67/8
Wt.: 2.13 g
Dia.: 16 mm
Obv.: Amphora; Paleo-Hebrew inscription: "Year Two"
Rev.: Vine leaf; Paleo-Hebrew inscription: "Freedom of Zion"
Ref.: Hendin 1360
Ex Tareq Hani Collection

• Like 6

Thanks everyone!

Although the coin isn’t what I thought it was, I’m definitely happy with it.  Tetradrachms don’t fall into my price range, so, it’s exciting to actually own one.

My brother does a bit of collecting now and then and he has a couple of Tetradrachms that are dint to hold.  This one I don’t have to make a weekly visit to, it’ll be with me all day everyday.  Lol

I appreciate the kind words @Curtisimoand @ominus1.  I’m not sure where it came from.  I don’t think it has a whole lot to do with what’s between the ears, more like ‘er’ and ‘air’ have the same pronunciation.  

I’m certainly not the brightest bulb, but, I’m totally ok with the nickname. 

Erin

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

6 minutes ago, airhead1983 said:

Thanks everyone!

Although the coin isn’t what I thought it was, I’m definitely happy with it.  Tetradrachms don’t fall into my price range, so, it’s exciting to actually own one.

My brother does a bit of collecting now and then and he has a couple of Tetradrachms that are dint to hold.  This one I don’t have to make a weekly visit to, it’ll be with me all day everyday.  Lol

I appreciate the kind words @Curtisimoand @ominus1.  I’m not sure where it came from.  I don’t think it has a whole lot to do with what’s between the ears, more like ‘er’ and ‘air’ have the same pronunciation.  

I’m certainly not the brightest bulb, but, I’m totally ok with the nickname. 

Erin

..well, as long as you're ok with it...what's in a name eh?...:D

• Like 1