suggestions for Roman-related wine?

Nerosmyfavorite68

A beer thread reminded me of a question; are there any wines similar to ancient Roman wines?

And as my birthday approaches, I sure wish I could find the mysterious cocktail ingredient velvet falernum.  I even visited a world-famous grocery store; no velvet falernum.

I rather enjoy Witches' Brew spiced wine.  While cocktails don't have this effect, wine just makes me feel really hot during the summer.  It's more of a fall/winter thing for me.

• Like 1

As part of the ruins of ancient Pompeii, a price list on the wall of a bar establishment notes

For one "as" you can drink wine
For two you can drink the best
For four you can drink Falernian

Apparently the grape was Anglianico , here is a UK supplier who sells variants. A lot are quite pricey.

https://www.tannico.co.uk/red.html?tag_denominazione[0]=Aglianico

In my past Roman lif I was probably not wealthy so today I drink Primitivo Puglia Organic , reasonably priced and I guess the only pesticides would have been sacrificial crops so I humour myself that this is as close as I will get. So far I've resisted the honeyed mice but I am partial to Eel.

• Like 1