FEL TEMP Friday! Or Fallen Horseman Friday. (Eyelashes and Decorated Shields from Arles.)

Curtis JJ

Anyone else in the mood to share any fallen horsemen or FEL TEMP REPARATIOs?

Here's my most recent addition (still in transit). I wanted it for my Fallen Horseman/FEL TEMP REPARATIO (FH/FTR) collection for two reasons:

First: Arles, previously I only had the little "TCON" (Constantia) AE3 size ones.

Second: Distinctive artistic interesting details, obverse and reverse.

Portrait: hair and cuirass (?) are of interesting style that are new to my FH coll.
Also, something I've never noticed before: Eyelashes!

Reverse: Shield decorations. Not my first, and not the most dramatic I've seen. But I always love these.

647959034_ConstantiusIIFTRFHPARLArlesLeuWA21Lang.jpg.3d36bd0ce017ee6ab34c9d080e8b9c9a.jpg

Roman Imperial. Constantius II AE Centenionalis/Maiorina (24mm, 5.58g, 6 h), struck in Arelate (Arles), 348-350 CE.
Obv: DN CONSTANTIVS PF AVG. Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right; to left, A.
Rev: FEL TEMP REPARATIO / A / PARL. Roman soldier spearing fallen horseman, who faces the soldier and reaches upward (FH2).
Ref: RIC 120.
Prov: Ex Leu WA 21 (19 Jul 2022), 5492, from the Adrian Lang Collection (part II).

Shield Decoration and Eyelashes detail:

2030022883_ConstantiusIIFTRFHPARLArlesLeuWA21LangShieldDecoration.jpg.1a9465e17c3250c87cab439886996b25.jpg     image.png.98057374e854c0e3f52482a5a02547c4.png

Edited by Curtis JJ
  • Like 7

The majority of the shields on the fallen horseman types depict an oval (sometimes round) shield with a central boss with a dotted border around.

RI_170fa_img.jpg

RI_175c_img.jpg

Sometimes they went to the effort of adding more detail to the shield - Here the central boss is surrounded by a square of four dots

RI_170fs_img.jpg

Here the shield has a 3 dimensional wave effect on the shield.

RI_170fd_img.jpg

Here I believe an attempt was made to give the shield an impression of being 3 dimensional

RI_170bm_img.jpg

an inner ring on the shield

RI_170gh_img.jpg

Here the shield appears to be in profile rather than square on which seems to be a Rome thing as I have a couple like it

RI_170ck_img.jpg

The Emperors shield is tiny on this one which happens with this issue

RI_170bo_img.jpg

Here it is almost round

RI_175b_img.jpg

• Like 3
  • Mind blown 1