Libertas coins in memory of Nichelle Nichols -- a.k.a. Lieutenant Uhura

Roman Collector

R.I.P., Nichelle Nichols, a groundbreaking actress beloved by hundreds of millions around the world. She is best known for playing communications officer Lt. Uhura on Star Trek.

"Uhura" comes from the Swahili word uhuru, meaning "freedom." The Roman empire minted hundreds of coins honoring the notion of freedom -- bearing the Latin word for freedom, Libertas.

Free Nichelle': protesters want to liberate Star Trek actor Nichelle  Nichols from conservatorship | Ageing | The Guardian

I would like to honor her by posting some sestertii featuring Libertas -- Uhura -- Freedom.

Post your coins relating to freedom, share your thoughts about Ms. Nichols, or anything you feel is relevant.

[IMG]
Commodus, AD 177-192.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 22.51 g, 29.2 mm, 1 h.
Rome, AD 192.
Obv: L AEL AVREL COMM AVG P FEL, laureate bust of Commodus, right, with slight drapery on left shoulder.
Rev: LIB AVG P M TR P XVII COS VII P P, Libertas standing facing, head left, holding pileus in right hand and vindicta in left hand; S C l. and r., low in field; star, mid right, in field.
Refs: RIC 619b; BMCRE 692 var. (bust); Cohen 290; RCV 5764; ERIC II 573 var. (bust).

Severus Alexander PM TRP VIII COS III P P S C Libertas Sestertius.jpg
Severus Alexander, AD 222-235.
Roman Æ sestertius; 21.72 gm, 28.4 mm.
Rome, AD 229.
Obv: IMP SEV ALEXANDER AVG, Laureate head right; slight drapery on left shoulder.
Rev: P M TR P VIII COS III P P S C, Libertas standing left, holding pileus and scepter.
Refs: RIC 492; BMCRE 570; Cohen 372; RCV 7996.

[IMG]
Gordian III, AD 238-244.
Roman Æ sestertius, 24.30 gm, 28.7 mm, 12 h.
Rome, AD 240.
Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
Rev: LIBERTAS AVG SC, Libertas standing left, holding pileus and scepter.
Refs: RIC 318a; Cohen 153; RCV 8717; Hunter 147.

[IMG]
Trebonianus Gallus, AD 251-253.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 17.81 g, 29.5 mm, 12 h.
Rome, AD 251-252.
Obv: IMP CAES C VIBIVS TREBONIANVS GALLVS AVG, Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: LIBERTAS AVGG S C, Libertas standing left, holding pileus and scepter.
Refs: RIC 114a; Cohen 64 corr.; RCV 9674; Hunter 31.
  • Like 16
  • Heart Eyes 1

I saw the news. In that spirit, here's a Libertas that's also dearly departed and that I'd like to get back (on a Vitellius denarius that I sold some years ago):

image.jpeg.e08e1dc5cf59c8b7b0ac7d1051e4ec98.jpeg

The Libertas types happen to fit into my "Captives" collection, since the vindicta (ceremonial staff) and pileus (liberty cap) she carries were used in the ritual manumission of slaves (giving their freedom, which the cap symbolized).

Edited by Curtis JJ
  • Like 10

Not much of the old crew left :classic_sad:

ri168.jpg.5677505c74d91439f28468caf3f59502.jpg

Constantine I
327 to 328 AD
Mint: Constantinople
AE Follis
Obvs: CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG, Rosette-diadem head right.
Revs: LIBERTAS PVBLICA, Victory on galley; wreath in both hands. B to left. CONS
19x20mm, 3.0g
Ref: RIC VII.573.25

• Like 9

I am one of the the millions who will always remember her: Uhura, Spock, Kirk and Chekov forever. To be adored by so many people, to live to be 89 years old and to look good until the end is granted to few people. RIP

normal_Republik_19.jpg.d423861d4748b48a01d2441aec9eac4d.jpg

M. Junius Brutus
AR Denarius, 42BC, Rome
Obv.: LIBERTAS, Head of Libertas right  with communication ear piece.
Rev.: BRVTVS, Consul L. Junius Brutus walking left between two lictors, carrying fasces over shoulder; accensus to left.
Ag, 19mm, 3.87g
Ref.: Crawford 433/1

Please note the "Uhura like" communication ear piece. :classic_wink:

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 10

Wow 89!....I grew up watching this series, makes me feel old now...

1127318022_Mr3H5XGt9bB68izFoJr2K7AjkK849D(1).jpg.0defd4570b0ee2bcdc14b1991b470e01.jpg

Antoninus Pius. 138-161 AD. AE Dupondius (11.76 gm, 25.3mm). Rome mint. Struck 154-155 AD.
Obv.. ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XVIII, radiate head right.
Rev.. LIBERTAS COS IIII / S - C, Libertas with pileus and sceptre standing left.
RIC 933....BMC 1469. gVF.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, shanxi said:

M. Junius Brutus ... Obv.: LIBERTAS, Head of Libertas ... Ref.: Crawford 433/1

20 minutes ago, jdmKY said:

Here are a few more in her honor:

Brutus-

Of course, Brutus! How could I have forgotten that Libertas?

I was only thinking of RIC reverses... (I don't seem to have any RPC w/ Eleutheria, the Greek version.) I like both of these, the first is in better condition and overall more attractive, but I got the second because I preferred the centering & full legends, also I like the detail on the Accensus-Consul-Lictors procession (some really silly faces) and large flan.

image.png.a713ccb4e2e6050c59473a3105f6e6d2.png

image.png.6e3459ba93a374a76d802b2eb0d9628c.png

• Like 8

• Benefactor

I was very sorry to read about Nichelle Nichols's passing. I am old enough to remember watching Star Trek when it was first on the air (I was 11 or 12), and to have gone to see all the early Star Trek movies when they first came out. I still have a few of the early paperback novelizations, written by James Blish. At that age, I had no understanding at all of how historic her casting was. It seemed entirely ordinary to me. 

My only Libertas coin is this as of Claudius I:

Claudius I AE As, AD 42, Rome Mint. Obv. Bare head left, TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TR P IMP P P / Rev. Libertas standing facing, head right, holding pileus in right hand, left hand extended, LIBERTAS AVGVSTA / S - C. RIC I 113, Sear RCV I 1860, BMCRE 202. 31.62 mm., 11.18 g. Purchased from Marc Breitsprecher.

image.jpeg.25390e3ed9940a347ae1a8f7f57eb6e6.jpeg

• Like 6