Septimius Severus - Rome mint - IMP II - RIC 29A

maridvnvm

My focus with Septimius Severus is on the earlier denarii of his eastern mints. I do occasionally buy his Rome mint coins but they are few and far between. In this case my purchase was somewhat speculative. The coin was described as "SILVER DENARIUS EMPEROR SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS/VICTORIA" combined with rather poor images. I believed the coin to come from the IMP II issue of Rome and thus decided to take a punt. Nobody else recognised it for what I believed it was.

The IMP II issue of Rome is generally rare though I have managed to obtain a few examples from the issue over the years. I was quite happy to have my suspicions confirmed when the coin arrived,

Obv:- L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP II, laureate head right
Rev:- VICT AVG TR P COS II P P, Victory walking left, holding wreath in right hand, palm in left
Minted in Rome. A.D. 194
Reference:- BMCRE P. 30 Note 61. RIC 29A (Rare). RSC 688a.

Weight 2.63g. Maximum diameter 18.36 mm. Die orientation 0 degrees

RI_064vd_img.JPG

Here is the last IMP II denarius I bought, which was just under a decade ago.

Obv:- L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP II, laureate head right
Rev:- VICT AVG TR P II COS II P P, Victory walking right, holding wreath in right hand, palm in left
Minted in Rome. A.D. 194
Reference:- BMCRE -. RIC -. RSC 690b (citing Gnecchi Coll., Rome)

RI_064nw_img.jpg

The following came from a discussion on this coin with Curtis Clay

"I know a couple of other specimens too, BM probably has one from me and I may have another in my new collection.

Still very rare and interesting, IMP II generally rare on Rome-mint denarii, a muled obv.-rev. combination because COS II means after 1 Jan. 194, but the medallions prove that Septimius' IMP III must have already been known in Rome by about 25 Dec. 193."

Feel free to add other coins from this scarcer issue from Rome.

• Like 9