Ancient Coin Abstract Art as Modern Art

Posted (edited)

Two of the primary reasons I collect ancient coins are for their history (both real and mythical) and artistry.  Generally, the obverses show the bust of a ruler, fulfilling the historical reason for acquiring the coin.  (I'll always try to acquire a coin whose obverse image is engraved with better artistry than average as well.)  The reverses are varied, some being more historically focused than others, but most times they invoke a deity or event of some sort, rendered as artistically as the skill of the engraver allows for the size of the coin.

Every once in a while I'll acquire a coin in which either history or artistry is by far the overwhelming characteristic of the coin.  My Parisii stater is one of those coins.  Since my personal preferences run toward modern abstract art, this coin, with its ancient abstract depiction of Apollo on the obverse, and a stylized galloping horse on the reverse, had an artistry to which I was always attracted.  I was fortunate to acquire one about two years ago:

image.jpeg.6f43e4c878a606450eb88edd07b25571.jpeg

A short while later, my wife and I were browsing an art gallery featuring works of a local abstract artist, and after purchasing one of her works, it occurred to me that both her style and artistic sensibilities lent themselves to creating individual art pieces of both the obverse and reverse of my Parisii stater.  She recently completed the commission and we now a fabulous example of ancient abstract (coin) art that is also, literally, modern abstract art hanging on our wall:

image.jpeg.add625927e5a4f645ff44e2c3ce4d09b.jpeg

The picture doesn't do justice to the works.  The gold leaf coins gleam as if with original luster in almost any light, day or night, and they seem to brighten the whole room despite each of them being only 15" x 15".  

I'd love to see any other collector's methods for displaying their coins (photographs, drawings, etc.) in their homes -- please feel free to display yours.

Edited by idesofmarch01
  • Like 17
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 5

@idesofmarch01 those are breathtaking. Many congratulations.

The only slight thing is I'm fairly sure that's not what Apollo looked like. I am told this is actually him on the left -

Screenshot_3-5-2024_14133_(1).jpeg.d0f58f9a37b8d813ed4ddd2ce286605c.jpeg

DUROTRIGES, Uninscribed issues, silver Stater, disjointed head of Apollo, rev. disjointed horse left.

• Like 7
  • Laugh 1
  • Cool Think 1
  • Popcorn 1

That's an inspired adaptation of a fantastic coin.

I haven't evolved to doing anything along these lines, but the Chinonais /Bleso-Chartrain profiles of feudal France invite comparison both to Celtic and Picasso. 

image.jpeg.b397a1052f205a88ebd6f1c719144565.jpeg

image.jpeg.3bb7b5f99a86a5f6fb9650e3a4bf9d2f.jpeg

Berry.  Lordship of Celles.  Robert I, 1178-1189.

Rev. +ROB[' D]E CELE.  Duplessy 611.

• Like 6

This is why Indo Sassanian series 1.3 is my favorite - I don't know enough about art theory or aesthetics to articulate why I love these so much, but these are some of my favorite coins imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-7Nn0ZZlJ8BEsfAd.jpg.a55444042be4a8b93bcaf864b3d85b9d.jpgZomboDroid25052021113820.jpg.a7d76646a8ca345aa13613c65a273e8d.jpgZomboDroid05112021110156.jpg.f80d60142ea93144feca85ae0342a632.jpgZomboDroid05112021110127.jpg.34a327577b11598b93dc3340b995ac80.jpgZomboDroid25052021113110.jpg.aa618351382f19dc4ebf81986be3458b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

Yesss!  To @idesofmarch01's original point, when the line gets crossed between mere stylization of a motif, and abstraction for its own sake, you've got the essence of what the earlier phases of Picasso and Braque were about.  You're well beyond 'naive realism;' this stuff is following its own, independent esthetic.

• Like 2

Wonderful artwork, @idesofmarch01: a modern interpretation of modern-looking-but-ancient art. If I'm reading your description correctly, your piece has gold leaf on it? Is it rendered in 3D or a 2D interpretation? It's an excellent way to honor the coin!

I met a friend when he reached out asking permission to draw one of my coins in his beautiful pointillism style. He's since used a few as inspiration for various works; I have the Knossos proudly displayed in my office and the others were purchased by some of his collectors/buyers. I'm no artist but I imagine it takes a great deal of skill to capture the subtlety of a coin. His art is often classical themed and remarkable considering how much work goes into the pieces: https://www.instagram.com/casaltaxavier/

image.png.f610c74fed65309ea496e08dc232463c.png

image.png.9b7c190184049937bcdbab64a7c36675.png

image.png.0c5d41067c628e74aa2ebb0d39151a7b.png

• Like 5
  • Gasp 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

1 hour ago, AncientJoe said:

Wonderful artwork, @idesofmarch01: a modern interpretation of modern-looking-but-ancient art. If I'm reading your description correctly, your piece has gold leaf on it? Is it rendered in 3D or a 2D interpretation? It's an excellent way to honor the coin!

Thanks!  The gold color is indeed gold leaf, and it is slightly 3D -- there's enough relief to show most of the coin's devices, but I didn't want so much relief that it detracted from the artwork.

The pointillism-style renderings of your coins are really stunning -- they really capture the artistry of the original coins and illustrate the 3D nature of the coins without actually being 3D.  Congratulations on your serendipitous connection with the artist.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

20 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

That's an inspired adaptation of a fantastic coin.

I haven't evolved to doing anything along these lines, but the Chinonais /Bleso-Chartrain profiles of feudal France invite comparison both to Celtic and Picasso. 

image.jpeg.b397a1052f205a88ebd6f1c719144565.jpeg

image.jpeg.3bb7b5f99a86a5f6fb9650e3a4bf9d2f.jpeg

Berry.  Lordship of Celles.  Robert I, 1178-1189.

Rev. +ROB[' D]E CELE.  Duplessy 611.

Excellent spec.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JeandAcre said:

Thanks, @seth77.  It was from French ebay; I can't even remember how complete the attribution was.  Regardless, it was mostly luck.

Yes, i remember French ebay, it brought much joy to me too.

• Smile 1

Sorry to hear that you don't still go that way.  ...But surely, you'll remember back to the 2000s, when, especially for feudal, it was the Wild West, in the best possible sense.  People would list stuff with no attempt at attribution, and you'd walk off with an average closing price of E25.  At the time, all I had for references was Boudeau (which a collector very kindly xeroxed and mailed) and Roberts.  --Right, and Cgb already had a magnificent online archive.  But that's where the spine of my feudal collection came from.