Help with this Hadrianus? Roman coin

Hello everybody,

This one was also bought in Turkey in the 70s by my life partner, Josiane. She thought she'd thrown it away, believing it to be a fake, but she found it again.
I gently cleaned the bronze. It seems to me to be a Hadrianus coin. The diameter is 4 cm, the weight 20 g.

Any reply would be appreciated.

Yours sincerely

Didier

IMG_20240408_120514.jpg

IMG_20240408_120532.jpg

Your life partner was right - that is not a genuine coin - it is a tourist fake. 

The coin wants to be an Antoninus Pius coin (not Hadrian). 

You can see the full description here. 

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pid=11255#top_display_media

If you do not have an account there, here is the description 

Antoninus Pius Modern fake of AE sestertius of Antoninus Pius. obv: IMP CAES T AEL ANTONINVS AVG PIVS laur head, l. rev:  PONT MAX  Antoninus Pius on horseback, right, right hand upraised cf: RIC 879 & 890, but inverted: i.e. obv w/ bust right (and PP at end of obv. legend); rev: on horseback, l. Cast. Older (i.e. 19th cen.) tourist fakes of the same type (with identical orientation) exist as struck pieces. This appears to be a later (20th cen.) fake cast after these.

Modern fake of AE sestertius of Antoninus Pius.
obv: IMP CAES T AEL ANTONINVS AVG PIVS laur head, l.
rev: PONT MAX Antoninus Pius on horseback, right, right hand upraised
cf: RIC 879 & 890, but inverted: i.e. obv w/ bust right (and PP at end of obv. legend); rev: on horseback, l.
Cast. Older (i.e. 19th cen.) tourist fakes of the same type (with identical orientation) exist as struck pieces. This appears to be a later (20th cen.) fake cast after these.

The actual genuine coin is a Pius medallion (with a different obv legend) - from Cohen catalogue 

image.png.2feeb7f0fcf53f829bf2030085b02541.png

Your coin has 0 chances to be genuine.

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 4