Lydia 1/3 Stater or Trite: Same incuse square on two different coins.

Petr

Good day,

I would like to turn to the professional community here with a question. It is about to two ancient 1/3 stater coins from Lydia, circa 600 B.C. What is the probability of encountering two coins with the same struck impression/punch for this denomination - coming probably from one coin die?   will try to attach link/image of both of these similar coins...

Thank you for your opinions.

Trite Lydia two similar incuse.jpg

• Like 6

This is quite common. Back punches were used through many generations of obverse dies.  I have done an extensive die survey of backpunches of Weidauer XV trites. If you like to collect these images, here is another for your collection of this backpunch pair. I am very familiar with that pair of dies.

Example.jpg

I would venture a guess that your coins are both either late Weidauer XV type C, like the one attached, or just possibly the very first Weidauer XVI dies. If they are Weidauer XVI, I would love to know about it. Can you post the obverses of these two coins?

If they are Weidauer XV Type C, they will be characterized by the herringbone ruff and fringed edge main of this coin (you only see two of the fringes on the far left), a cross-shaped starburst above the brow, a long ear, and both top and bottom eyelids.

Edited by Bonshaw
  • Like 6
  • Cool Think 1

Thank you for reply!

The original areas of my interest and collections were the Middle Ages and Early Modern ages. However, I gradually fell into the ancient period.

So I succumbed definitely to Antique era and just started with collecting these nice tiny pieces of art. I started with silver and bronze coins and now started to lurk for electrum staters. So this was the reason of my question - I saw same square punch on them. Now I have to study furthermore to shape my developing collection - so thank you for information.

Front of both coins attached below:

Trite Lydia two similar incuse front sides.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for posting the photos. Welcome to the 7th century BC!

These are both late-stage Weidauer XV Type C trites. The cross-shaped starburst is very evident in the first one, but not in the second, where it appears to be off of the flan. Both have the characteristic herringbone ruff, and fringed edge mane. These trites were some of the last in the first, XV series, before the wart fully developed in the XVI trites.

One thing to clarify is that there are *two* back punches. The first larger one (on the right in your back photos) is applied first, followed by the second punch that has a checkerboard pattern with four quadrants.

Edited by Bonshaw
  • Like 4