This coin was added to an order in November as more-or-less fun identification challenge:

commodusa.jpg.c9c411c52c04227a2bfebf9784f69d6e.jpg
AE26mm 10.77gg copper-based alloy, possibly orichalcum (brass)
laureate bearded bust r. - placed on supporting base
Zeus standing facing, slightly left, holding something in his right hand over eagle at his feet and long sceptre in his left hand; possibly chlamys hanging over left shoulder; fragments of legend.

But I could not make a positive identification. Closest I think I am is Tium in Bythinia for Marcus Aurelius. But I am far from certain.

Aspects taken into consideration:

- this is an as-sized coin
- the overall style might be Bythinian, Mysian or even Achaean(?)
- the emperor is likely one of the following: Marcus Aurelius, Commodus or Severus, less likely: Aelius or Lucius Verus
- the effigy seems to be positioned on a base, similar to the pediment of statuary busts
- the reverse legend might be T I A N - [...] but that is just my interpretation of the fragmentary lettering
- the figure might be Zeus Syrgastes or similar?

When I take all this into consideration, the closest identification seems to be Marcus Aurelius from Tium. But such a coin is not in RPC.

Could someone help out? Has anyone seen this statue-like bust type, placed on a base?

Thanks for looking!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ominus1 said:

..Lucius Verus...

Verus was my first thought too, but Aurelius is also possible. The Tium portraits of Aurelius are very variable and some look like Lucius Verus., e.g.:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=7680052

Unfortunately, the only suitable example for Aurelius  (RPC IV.1, 9534) is too big and too heavy.

• Cool Think 1

I recently acquired a coin with similar reverse from Coropissus in Cilicia. I did not find a match but might be a place to look. Could also be Commodus.

ACSearch example. https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=12032462

cor.jpg.6ccd013c9af937073c5a3c233f8eb7e1.jpg

*Just one specimen recorded by RPC, never recorded by acsearch*
Cilicia, Coropissus AE (Bronze, 14.51g, 27mm) Marcus Aurelius (161-180) for Lucius Verus (Augustus) Issue: Marcus and Verus, co-emperors (161–169)
Obv: ΑΥΤΟKPA ΚΑΙ ΛΟΥ ΑΥΡΗ OYHPOC; laureate head of Lucius Verus with traces of drapery, right
Rev: ΚΟΡΟΠΙϹϹΕωΝ ΚΗΤ[ωΝ Μ]...; Zeus standing, left, holding patera over eagle and long sceptre
Ref: RPC IV.3 №: 10239 (temporary) var. (reverse legend)

• Like 8

17 hours ago, AncientOne said:

I recently acquired a coin with similar reverse from Coropissus in Cilicia. I did not find a match but might be a place to look. Could also be Commodus.

ACSearch example. https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=12032462

cor.jpg.6ccd013c9af937073c5a3c233f8eb7e1.jpg

*Just one specimen recorded by RPC, never recorded by acsearch*
Cilicia, Coropissus AE (Bronze, 14.51g, 27mm) Marcus Aurelius (161-180) for Lucius Verus (Augustus) Issue: Marcus and Verus, co-emperors (161–169)
Obv: ΑΥΤΟKPA ΚΑΙ ΛΟΥ ΑΥΡΗ OYHPOC; laureate head of Lucius Verus with traces of drapery, right
Rev: ΚΟΡΟΠΙϹϹΕωΝ ΚΗΤ[ωΝ Μ]...; Zeus standing, left, holding patera over eagle and long sceptre
Ref: RPC IV.3 №: 10239 (temporary) var. (reverse legend)

I have considered Coropissus too, but taking into account the reverse legend and the spacing between the letters it seems less likely. I can't help it but think that the key to positively id this is the pediment underneath the bust on the obverse. Has anyone seen something similar before?