My rare Cyrrhus provincial coin of Marcus Aurelius

zanzi

This coin is one of my favorites in my small collection. I wanted something from Marcus Aurelius so settled on this neat piece for about $20 or so. It was misidentified as a similar type with the bust right. The bust left is much rarer, however. RPC only has two examples in the database, with one described as "authenticity doubtful: cast?". Mine seems fine, and I love the brassy color of it. I don't know much about Roman provincial coins but this was a neat piece to buy and research.

image.jpeg.3f8f4a467d6fac2ab8070aa890a338ca.jpeg

Roman Provincial (Marcus Aurelius)

Cyrrhus, Syria

161 to 180 AD

O: Radiate bust left, ΑΥ ΑΥΡΗΛ ΑΝΤΩΝΙΝΟϹ ϹΕΒ

R: Zeus Kataibates seated left on a rock, holding a thunderbolt and long sceptre, an eagle left, ΔΙΟϹ ΚΑΤΑΙΕΒΑΤΟΥ ΚΥΡΡΗϹΤ

RPC IV, 3602

Please share other Marcus Aurelius or Cyrrhus coins, if you so feel

• Like 15

Cool coin.  I have a couple for Antoninus Pius issued in the same area - Cyrrhesticus, which is the name of the whole area Cyrrhus is in, I guess (Wikipedia).  Here's one of mine - inscription reverse:

image.jpeg.f11066b3a579383ffcc10871efc8be06.jpeg

Antoninus Pius    Æ 20 (c. 138-161 A.D.) Hieropolis, Cyrrhestica, Syria [ΑΥΤ(Ο) ΚΑΙ ΤΙ(Τ) ΑΙΛ ΑΔΡΙ ΑΝΤωΝƐΙΝΟϹ ϹƐΒ (ƐΥϹƐΒ)] laureate head right / ΘƐΑϹϹΥΡ ΙΑϹΙƐΡΟΠ(Ο), Δ below, within laurel wreath. RPC IV.3 6976 (temporary). (11.00 grams / 20 mm) eBay Aug. 2022

Attribution: RPC IV.3 6976 (temporary);  BMC 19; Paris F986; Butcher 17.

Obverse/Reverse Die-Match:  Coin no. 11 of RPC IV.3, 6976 (temporary) Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg (Germany) Inventory No. 12255

• Like 9

The most common coins of Cyrrhus are of the family of Philip.

image.jpeg.49bd00c027527b3ac35412e7d3775134.jpeg

image.jpeg.e21da508fc117c580d3315afd785cc2f.jpeg

Both are 28 mm. Butcher, Coinage in Roman Syria, Northen Syria, 64 BS - AD 253, says both were "probably struck at Antioch."
The first one is of Philip I (244-249) and the second one is of Philip II. This example of Philip is radiate, a bust only for Philip I, although it has the same legend used for Philip II. The second one is laureate and is just like one for Philip I, including having the same legend. The laureate examples can only be told apart by the portrait and this one looks young. I attribute it to Philip II. 

Edited by Valentinian
typo fixed
  • Like 8
  • Yes 1

This mint liked to use really long inscriptions.  Half the inscription is missing on this AE22, but notice the small lettering:

cyrrhus-both.jpg.19bdbc0bccd25df16371a3ed08cff97c.jpg

Obv: ΑΥΤοΚΡ ΚƐСΑΡ ΤΙΤ Ɛ[ΛΙ(sic) (ΑΔΡΙ) ΑΝΤωΝΙΝΟС С(Β ƐΥ(СƐ))]; Antoninus Pius laureate head right
Rev: [ΔΙΟΣ ΚΑΤΕΒΑΤΟΥ] ΚΥΡΡΗΣΤΩΝ and numeral letter Α in right field; Zeus Kataibates seated left on rock, holding thunderbolt over eagle and long scepter; A to right.
RPC Volume IV 8539 (temporary)
Acquired from Sam Sloat coins, 2015, NYINC

Cyrrhus was founded by Seleucus Nicator.

• Like 9

On 2/16/2024 at 7:19 AM, Ed Snible said:

This mint liked to use really long inscriptions.  Half the inscription is missing on this AE22, but notice the small lettering:

cyrrhus-both.jpg.19bdbc0bccd25df16371a3ed08cff97c.jpg

Obv: ΑΥΤοΚΡ ΚƐСΑΡ ΤΙΤ Ɛ[ΛΙ(sic) (ΑΔΡΙ) ΑΝΤωΝΙΝΟС С(Β ƐΥ(СƐ))]; Antoninus Pius laureate head right
Rev: [ΔΙΟΣ ΚΑΤΕΒΑΤΟΥ] ΚΥΡΡΗΣΤΩΝ and numeral letter Α in right field; Zeus Kataibates seated left on rock, holding thunderbolt over eagle and long scepter; A to right.
RPC Volume IV 8539 (temporary)
Acquired from Sam Sloat coins, 2015, NYINC

Cyrrhus was founded by Seleucus Nicator.

The small lettering sure is interesting, I don't think I've seen anything smaller than that on a Roman coin! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1