Breakway Beards: The Gallic Game of Portraiture

• 3 months later...

I'm liking all those beards.  Here's my latest, a Postumus.  Thanks to @Orielensis on CT for additional info on this one:  

189502406_Postumus-CologneSerapisComitiJul2022(0).jpg.3902fe2f0201083b7deebf039af5e3cf.jpg

Gallic Empire             Postumus Antoninianus      (266-267 A.D.) Trier or Cologne (RIC) Mint IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped, cuirassed, bust right / SERAPI COMITI AVG, Serapis standing to left, raising hand and holding sceptre; prow to left at feet. RIC 329; Cunetio 2421. (3.92 grams / 21 x 20 mm) eBay July 2022

Note:  "My (unproven) theory is that Postumus coins often show deities popular with the soldiers serving in the Rhine fleet, arguably the most important military units under Postumus' control. Epitaphs from Cologne and Trier show that many sailors from the eastern parts of the Roman Empire were stationed there. The depiction of Serapis and the ship's prow might have constituted a nod to these members of the fleet."  Orielensis Coin Talk

Attribution Notes:  "...in the end it boils down to RIC being profoundly mistaken about the mint locations of the Gallic Empire. An extensive 2014 study and catalaogue by Jerome Mairat,curator of coins at the Ashmolean Museum shed some new light on the topic. Based on hoard evidence...he was able to propose a new chronology and mint attributions for the coins of the Gallic Empire." Orielensis CT Mar. 2022

• Like 9