Ancient Chewing Gum & Medicine

Sulla80

On my way to India this past week, I had a short layover in Athens. Sadly, on this trip, I only saw the Athens airport, where I picked up some unusual chewing gum.

image.png.dad133842068b1048fac5cf3be8a6ae5.png

"Chios Gum Mastic" is the dried resin of the mastic tree which is in the same family as the pistachio.  Pistacia lentiscus is the source of this resin which has been harvested on the island of Chios for more than 2500 years.  The resin is harvested by slicing the bark to initiate the formation of tears of resin. Chewing these little resin pearls they become a white chewing gum that has a pine and cedar flavor.

Ancient Medicine

Pliny in book XII.XXXVI of Natural History discusses this mastic:

"the kind most highly praised is the white mastich of Chios, which fetches a price of 10 denarii a pound, while the black kind costs 2 denarii. It is said that the Chian mastich exudes from the lentisk (mastic tree) like a kind of gum."

In another chapter, he lists 22 remedies of the mastic in Book XXVI.28 of Natural History beginning with:

"The seed, bark, and tear-like juices of the lentisk are diuretics, and act astringently upon the bowels: a decoction of them, used as a fomentation, is curative of serpiginous sores, and is applied topically for humid ulcerations and erysipelas; it is employed also as a collutory for the gums."

Galen cites in his "Method of Medicine" Book VII.11 multiple uses of Chian mastic including use in a cure for kakochymia (an imbalance or unhealthy condition) in the walls of the stomach.  The best remedy being made by mixing aloes with "cinnamon, balsam wood, hazelwort, spikenard, saffron and Chian mastich."
image.jpeg.5a108518eb5b4271da63b61b8247ecb5.jpeg

Pistachia Lentiscus Source: Plate 130 from the work "Medicinal-pflanzen" (medical plants) by H. A. Köhler, published in 3 volumes

Modern Medicine

The European Medicines Agency (EMA) recognized Chian mastic as an herbal medicinal product in 2014 (See: https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/medicines/herbal/mastic).  And modern publications describe various antiinflammatory effects of the gum:

"There is now substantial evidence to suggest that mastiha demonstrates a plethora of favorable effects, mainly attributed to the anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative properties of its components. The main use of mastiha nowadays, however, is for the production of natural chewing gum, although an approval by the European Medicines Agency for mild dyspeptic disorders and for inflammations of the skin has been given. "

-"Overview of Chios Mastic Gum ( Pistacia lentiscus) Effects on Human Health", Soulaidopoulos et al., Nutrients, 2022 Jan 28;14(3):590, doi: 10.3390/nu14030590

Chios is an island, east of Athens in the Aegean sea.

image.png.71686fb631fc9b5c851fb9c5241187bb.png

I have two coins that were attributed to Chios when I purchased them and minted in the name of Alexander the Great. Researching these coins turned up some differences from the dealer attributions.

A Chios Drachm Die Study

Robert Bauslaugh did a die study of these posthumous issues from Chios in 1979.  (See: Bauslaugh, Robert. “THE POSTHUMOUS ALEXANDER COINAGE OF CHIOS.” Museum Notes (American Numismatic Society), vol. 24, 1979, pp. 1–45.)

Bauslaugh's study showed heavy die linkage in these coins (a small number of dies used) which enabled a solid sequencing.  Initially, based on the attribution, I took this coin for one of Barslaugh's series 2B which is linked with Price's 2318 - there are other coins of this type attributed by CNG e.g. this one from 2011: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1048166.

A look at the plate coins from Bauslaugh's article raised many questions about my first coin - the style of my coin is just not right and the "grapes" are missing....so what's going on?

Then I found a few other coins in ACSearch with the same die that are attributed to Mylasa and an look at Margaret Thompson's 1986 article on the “The Armenak Hoard (IGCH 1423)” quickly confirmed that my coin is not from Chios at all - but rather from Mylasa (Price 2488).  The style of coins in Thompson's article are a better match for my coin.

image.png.f75c26973b826d70f73f11e81f8bc2be.png

AlexanderIIIChios.jpg.90cc29d17d8dba19e7f5d42e27add5fc.jpg

Alexander III 'the Great' (336-323 BC), AR Drachm, 4.23g 17mm, Mylasa, postumus issue from 300-280 BC.
Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin.
Rev: AΛEΞANΔPOY, Zeus seated left on throne, holding eagle and sceptre. Control: Monogram in left field.
Ref: Price 2486

These coins were assigned to Mylasa in 1981 by Price in her article The Alexandrine mint of Mylasa,” Quaderni Ticinesi X.  Price was less certain about the city (putting a question mark next to this mint assignment and referencing Thompson. 

image.png.922df1eb235c116493106edb4550bc7b.png

Mylasa was located about 300km south east of Chios in ancient Caria (modern Turkiye).

image.png.7375e7597b2d3da43ae27e1f2911260d.png

Looking at my second coin attributed to Chios - more questions come up: why isn't this coin in Baulaugh's die study?  It didn't take long to find another article on these coins by Catherine C. Lorber, “The ‘Pseudo-Chios’ Mint: A New Drachm Mint in Asia Minor.The Numismatic Chronicle (1966-), vol. 180, 2020, pp. 21–38. Coin 83 resembles my coin, although Lorber describes a M in the circle for this coin and my variantion does not show up in the publication, so I am uncertain about my attribution to pseudo-Chios mint.  Any suggestions from NF experts in postumous Alexanders would be most welcome.

image.png.6c5c39df1ac56a9a760995ed05b2cc3f.png

I find few other examples of this particular coin from N&N London which are variously attributed to Chios, or an unknown, Ionian mint, or Pseudo-Chios.

AlexanderIIIDrachmChios290-275.jpg.2f1e4660920a8a500cc7596f7c36b207.jpg
Alexander III 'the Great', postumous AR Drachm, Chios, circa 290-275 BC. (4.07g. 19.5mm.)
Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin headdress
Rev: Zeus Aëtophoros seated left, holding eagle and sceptre; AΛEΞANΔPOY to right, X within vine wreath in left field, bunch of grapes below.

Post your coins of Chios, pseudo-Chios, or anything else that you find interesting or entertaining.

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 11
  • Cool Think 2
  • Clap 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Very interesting! I'd love to visit Chios and try it someday. Here's a large 3 assaria coin from Chios. It's a rare case where the denomination is spelled out in the coin.

6kkZKGv.jpeg

Islands off Ionia, Chios, Pseudo-autonomous issue, time of Trajan to Hadrian, 3 assaria 

98-138 AD

Obverse: ΤΡΙΑ / ΑCCΑΡΙΑ; Sphinx seated right on plain exergual line, lifting right forepaw over prow of galley. 

Reverse: Χ-Ι/Ω-Ν; Apollo and Dionysos standing facing on either side of altar on plain exergual line. Apollo, on left, holding phiale in right hand and resting left hand on hip, and Dionysos, on right, pouring libation from kantharos (or plemochoe?) in right hand.

References: Mavrogordato 106 ; RPC III 1901 .

30mm; 4.80g

Edited by Jeremy
Punctuation
  • Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1