Vespasian Crossed Cornuacopiae Quadrans

David Atherton

This coin isn't a huge rarity, but it's one you don't often see in trade. The price paid was similar to the cost of a nice meal out on the town ... so, I couldn't pass it up!

V1017best.jpg.7cfa565536a9b6c7d4e495bc74692a02.jpg
Vespasian
Æ Quadrans, 2.17g
Rome Mint, 77-78 AD
Obv: IMP VESP AVG COS VIII; Caduceus, winged, between crossed cornuacopiae
Rev: S C in laurel wreath
RIC 1017 (C). BMC 741. BNC 911.
Acquired from London Ancient Coins, November 2023.

The quadrans in the early imperial period typically lacked an imperial portrait. Possibly the denomination was deemed so lowly by mint officials that a portrait was considered improper. They were struck haphazardly and functioned primarily as an urban low value coinage in Rome and central Italy. The quadrans was the typical fee for entry into the baths, a urinal, or for a tryst in a cheap brothel. Being of rather low value quadrantes were not typically hoarded and thus are relatively scarce today. This crossed cornuacopiae/S C in wreath type was struck for the quadrans in just two issues dated to 76 and 77-78. The obverse copies a similar reverse type struck for the 'eastern flavoured' dupondii in 74.

In hand.

Surprisingly, a couple of old tickets were also included. Does anyone recognise what collection they are from?

20240116_214000.jpg.6c5e32930ee2ca6ea61edbff1ee015ea.jpg

As always, thank you for looking!

• Like 10

Nice coin!

If you figure out where the tag on the right came from, please let me know! My Pompey the Great portrait denarius, which also came from London Ancient Coins, also came with a tag like that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CPK said:

If you figure out where the tag on the right came from, please let me know! My Pompey the Great portrait denarius, which also came from London Ancient Coins, also came with a tag like that.

Yes, I certainly will! It definitely seems as if LAC acquired a collection then ...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Finn235 said:

Nice pickup!

The tags are the "Vitangelo collection" which I think was mostly auctioned through Roma a few years ago. Really incredibly diverse collection; I still have a few that I've kept.

Thanks!

Does anyone know who 'Vitangelo' is/was?